Flashing Fish, need help

Ericka Ketchum

Hello, 

I have a heavily planted community tank. It has been established for 9 months. Water parameters are stable at:

Ph 7.6- 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 30-40

Hardness hard 300+

Buffer high

Temp 75 degrees

I change roughly 15 to 20% water every 2- 3 weeks or so, testing water with aquarium coop multi strips and Api master test kit (for comparisons) weekly. 

About two months ago, I noticed a fish flashing repeatedly a few times every hour, a few days later more fish started. After researching a bit, I figured it was flukes so I treated with paracleanse. The issue went away for a couple weeks, then slowly returned. I read I may have to treat 2- 3 rounds, so I treated a second round with paracleanse. Issue resolved for a week, then some flashing started again. I waited the two week period from the last dose and treated a third time with paracleanse. Today was day 5 of the treatment, and I just did the 15% water change. A few fish were already flashing, and some were flashing throughout this last treatment. 

Is this not flukes? What else could it be? If it is flukes, is there a stronger treatment? There are zero visual issues or signs of disease. I also have shrimp, snails, and scaleless fish, so it needs to be safe for all.

Also, not sure if it matters but, after the 2nd round of paracleanse, my betta had a tear in his fin, so I treated with maracyn. Since I had just treated with paracleanse, I'm not sure it had an effect on the flashing since it came back anyway.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 4:35 PM, Colu said:

Any rapid breathing hanging out near the surface lethargy visible damage to the scales are they eating ok can you post a picture of some of the fish that are flashing the most what type of fish are in the tank @Ericka Ketchum

No rapid breathing or lethargy. Swimming normally, except for the flashing sometimes, (once in a great while, a fish will headshake or make a quick irratic swim burst). Then all normal. No visual issues or damage to any fish. Eating is all normal. 

There are two tanks, one has a betta, honey gourami, siames algae eater, hillstream loach, neon tetras, porkchop rasboras, otocinclus, amano shrimp and snails. This time around Its been mostly the SAE, but saw an oto and the hillstream loach do it yesterday.

The other has congo tetras, rosy barbs, albino corydora, peacock eel, otocinclus, kuhli loaches, wood shrimp, and snails. I notice the barbs doing the most, but saw the corycat do it today.

Water parameters on this tank are the same as the other. Also stable, no changes.

I did cross contaminate a lot so ive been treating both tanks.

On 1/30/2024 at 1:36 AM, Ericka Ketchum said:

No rapid breathing or lethargy. Swimming normally, except for the flashing sometimes, (once in a great while, a fish will headshake or make a quick irratic swim burst). Then all normal. No visual issues or damage to any fish. Eating is all normal. 

There are two tanks, one has a betta, honey gourami, siames algae eater, hillstream loach, neon tetras, porkchop rasboras, otocinclus, amano shrimp and snails. This time around Its been mostly the SAE, but saw an oto and the hillstream loach do it yesterday.

The other has congo tetras, rosy barbs, albino corydora, peacock eel, otocinclus, kuhli loaches, wood shrimp, and snails. I notice the barbs doing the most, but saw the corycat do it today.

Water parameters on this tank are the same as the other. Also stable, no changes.

I did cross contaminate a lot so ive been treating both tanks.

It's possible it's caused by excessive hardness in your water that  can cause flashing am not seeing any symptoms other than flashing that would say you could be dealing with flukes and fact its affecting both tanks would learn towards something in your water being the causing

On 1/29/2024 at 6:35 PM, Colu said:

It's possible it's caused by excessive hardness in your water that  can cause flashing am not seeing any symptoms other than flashing that would say you could be dealing with flukes and fact its affecting both tanks would learn towards something in your water being the causing

Even if it just started? My water has been this hard the whole time. I also have 2 other tanks and those fush arent having issues.

If it was flukes, would the three treatments have gotten rid of them? Or is there a stronger med for that?

On 1/30/2024 at 3:00 AM, Ericka Ketchum said:

Even if it just started? My water has been this hard the whole time. I also have 2 other tanks and those fush arent having issues.

If it was flukes, would the three treatments have gotten rid of them? Or is there a stronger med for that?

Has your hardness increased recently or your pH change also it can take four treatments two weeks apart to treat flukes with praziquantel the liquid form found in prazipro is more effective 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 7:15 PM, Colu said:

Has your hardness increased recently or your pH change also it can take four treatments two weeks apart to treat flukes with praziquantel the liquid form found in prazipro is more effective 

No, hardness and ph have been steady from day one. Is prazipro safe for shrimp, snails and scaleless fish? If so, do you think it would be worth treating a round with that?

On 1/30/2024 at 3:23 AM, Ericka Ketchum said:

No, hardness and ph have been steady from day one. Is prazipro safe for shrimp, snails and scaleless fish? If so, do you think it would be worth treating a round with that?

Prazipro has one of the active ingredients praziquantel that found in paracleanse safe to use with shrimp and snails you could do another course of paracleanse or treat with prazipro if your still seeing flashing after that something else could be causing the flashing 

Edited by Colu

On 1/29/2024 at 7:34 PM, Colu said:

Prazipro has one of the active praziquantel that found in paracleanse safe to use with shrimp and snails you could do another course of paracleanse or treat with prazipro if your still seeing flashing after that something else could be causing the flashing 

Ok, might as well try the last dose at this point. If it continues, I will look down other avenues. Thank you for the help!

• Like 1