Garden hose for water changes

Mr Gumby

Hi folks,

is garden hose ok to use while doing water changes?

I usually use a length of hose I bought from my LFS to pump water from the sink but I've moved tanks further away and it no longer reaches.

the hose from the LFS is quite pricey and I was hoping to save a bit of cash

I use a standard one purchased through Amazon. Searched for food safe garden hose. Didn’t want any chemical residue and wanted to make sure it wasn’t going to degrade over time. Ran water through it first before adding water to my tanks. 

What kind of distance are we talking here? I know you're trying to save money, but let me pitch you on the python extension. 

What's your time worth? And frustration? Would you rather fight with kinked and stiff garden hose every time you need to change water, or unroll a nice tidy and always-flexible length of python tubing? Don't get me wrong, if I could find that soft flexible tubing elsewhere for cheaper, I'd buy that. But I never have. 

It doesn't twist, it doesn't kink. This makes set up for changes, and monitoring for issues during them, much easier. 

Hot tip: if you want to mix and match sections of python tubing, or cut to size and re-join later, the 1/2" size of Gardena brand of hose connectors (the hose repair types especially) are a perfect fit.

image.png.e7cc9331332147f2b7d5b8fc0880a3b9.png

If you're using their quick connects for reversible flow you have to take out the part that works like a check valve

I use a permanently installed section of garden hose for my water change setup for my discus and I don't think there's been any bad that's come from using it.  I think the biggest issue is the flexibility of most garden hoses.  I'm sure some exist that aren't stiff, but most all of the ones I have used are not very flexible.  Python tubing is great stuff and I don't know if you've priced garden hose recently, but I don't think it's much cheaper.

Yeah, the stiff, green, common garden hose, probably not what you want. My food safe one is supple, easily bendable. It does kink, not an issue for the 50 foot length. I use stock tank and submersible pump as a water source, so python is not an option. Also a valve at the end for control. And I do use the python hook at the end, just because it holds itself in the tank 

Edited by Tony s

• 2 weeks later...

Don't use the expandable hoses!!  The composition of many of those can be deadly to your fish tank.  I found that out YEARS ago.  I filled it...went back in the room to check up on them...and they were ALL up at the top of the tank gasping.  I drained 90% of the tank and added water through the traditional faucet,,,and all turned out well.  It was a stressful 2 hours but all except one survived!!