Should I add my betta to my new tank?

pctomgirl

So I've been cycling a 10 gallon tank for a little over a week with Seachem Stability and live plants. I saw an increase in nitrites 2 days ago (about 1ppm) and did a 20% water change to get rid of some sludge and the nitrites. I tested the water with the api master test kit today and nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia were all at 0ppm. I currently have my betta in a 5 gallon while the tank is cycling and he's getting over a little bit of ich but I'm wondering if I can move him over soon? He's very not happy in his bare bones 5 gallon and I'd love to see him in his new home.

(Here's a photo of the tank as is today. Its my first time doing a planted tank so I'm super nervous about it)

20240128_144228.jpg.cea4779dea00c725c94aee160504034e.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 3:44 PM, pctomgirl said:

So I've been cycling a 10 gallon tank for a little over a week with Seachem Stability and live plants. I saw an increase in nitrites 2 days ago (about 1ppm) and did a 20% water change to get rid of some sludge and the nitrites. I tested the water with the api master test kit today and nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia were all at 0ppm. I currently have my betta in a 5 gallon while the tank is cycling and he's getting over a little bit of ich but I'm wondering if I can move him over soon? He's very not happy in his bare bones 5 gallon and I'd love to see him in his new home.

(Here's a photo of the tank as is today. Its my first time doing a planted tank so I'm super nervous about it)

20240128_144228.jpg.cea4779dea00c725c94aee160504034e.jpg

Hello! Cool tank btw…so when u cycle your tank you don’t won’t to get rid of nitrites or nitrates UNTIL the cycle is done. How are you cycling this tank right now? With a bacteria starter or what? What u want is to dose ammonia (or wait a super super long time for ammonia to build up which you prob haven’t done which is fine)and the nitrite over a little bit of time build up and then nitrates start showing up around maybe week 2-3-4 or so and then ammonia starts going down and eventually nitrite as well then when both are 0 ppm add more ammonia and then wait 24 hours and see if both are gone. If so your tank is cycled but it might not and if not wait till both go to 0 ppm again (ammonia nitrite)and redoes to 2 ppm as I forgot to mention…with all that said you prob know all of this!🤣but what route are you taking for this cycle????

Also,you can add your betta after your cycle is done. Make sure to acclimate for at least 20 mins and net him out. DONT POUR WATER IN FROM OLD TANK!!! I am sure you know all of this but just making sure.😅

I am currently cycling a 10 gallon as well with plants coming tomorrow (live plants from aquarium coop) and almost done. In fact I am going too check the water tonight and it might be done. Have been cycling for maybe 29 or 30 days…

Get some "DrTim’s Aquatics Ammonium Chloride Solution" and put 10 drops or so into the 10 gallon tank (Yeah I know they destructions say 4 drops per gallon, but I believe that is way too much. I usually do 1 drop per gallon and have had better success with it.). After 30 mins or so measure the Ammonia. Wait 24 hours, measure the Ammonia and Nitrite. If both of these are NOT zero, you're not ready to add fish.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2024 at 5:08 PM, Dacotua said:

Get some "DrTim’s Aquatics Ammonium Chloride Solution" and put 10 drops or so into the 10 gallon tank (Yeah I know they destructions say 4 drops per gallon, but I believe that is way too much. I usually do 1 drop per gallon and have had better success with it.). After 30 mins or so measure the Ammonia. Wait 24 hours, measure the Ammonia and Nitrite. If both of these are NOT zero, you're not ready to add fish.

Yes.🙂

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 4:02 PM, Bigdog99 said:

How are you cycling this tank right now? With a bacteria starter or what?

A bacteria starter and I sprinkled some fish food to break down for ammonia. It would take me some effort to get it bottled unfortunately since my closest pet stores are big box locations.

• Like 1

I’d give it another shot of fish food and see if you get ammonia or nitrate in a day or two if not add the fish just keep a close eye on your levels after adding the fish 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 7:00 PM, pctomgirl said:

A bacteria starter and I sprinkled some fish food to break down for ammonia. It would take me some effort to get it bottled unfortunately since my closest pet stores are big box locations.

You can order the ammonium chloride solution from Amazon 

On 1/28/2024 at 7:52 PM, jo1414 said:

what is that anubias type on the right side of the tank

The right side has either an anubius nano or an anubius barteri (they were the same size when i bought them so i dont know which is which) and a bucephalandra brownie.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 12:36 AM, pctomgirl said:

He's in there now! I let it sit for another week and I'm keeping a close eye on my water. No issues so far but fingers crossed!

That’s great! Keep an eye for any ammonia or nitrite popping out of nowhere…btw! Nice job and happy betta keeping!