New tank, imperfect parameters, Med Trio timing

Mary-Claire

With about 20 small plants my first tank (10 g) has been going great since adding (approx 6 weeks ago) 4 platies, 1 endler, 2 African dwarf frogs, 2 mystery snails and along also came 1 extremely cute platy fry a couple weeks ago. They each have been looking active and healthy though I may have populated it too early and have been playing catch up ever since by doing frequent water changes to eliminate a tiny amount of ammonia that seems to be holding on. I do not see any disease indicators — though I’m obviously no expert — but now after learning about the preventative application of Med Trio I’d like to do that. I’m wondering if I should wait to do the treatment until after I get that trace ammonia to 0. Any advice?

Since it’s been six weeks, if they had any diseases you probably would have seen signs of it by now. So unless a disease crops up, I don’t think you need to medicate. You’ve basically put them through a quarantine already and it sounds like they’re doing great!

1 hour ago, Mary-Claire said:

With about 20 small plants my first tank (10 g) has been going great since adding (approx 6 weeks ago) 4 platies, 1 endler, 2 African dwarf frogs, 2 mystery snails and along also came 1 extremely cute platy fry a couple weeks ago. They each have been looking active and healthy though I may have populated it too early and have been playing catch up ever since by doing frequent water changes to eliminate a tiny amount of ammonia that seems to be holding on. I do not see any disease indicators — though I’m obviously no expert — but now after learning about the preventative application of Med Trio I’d like to do that. I’m wondering if I should wait to do the treatment until after I get that trace ammonia to 0. Any advice?

Your 10 Gallon may be bit overstocked and the snails will most likely create babies non stop. I wouldn't do the med trio until they start acting "wierd" like they may have an ilness. This is because lots of fish don't act well to meds when they don't have the desease. 

Some common symptoms of deseases are the following

-Laying on bottom and not acctive 

-White spots

-Not eating

If you do see something up just send in a pic to the forum and then we can diagnose the deases and tell you what meds to use. You probably don't have any diseases because you have had them for 6 weeks. and if you haven't spot any wierd symptoms, then don't worry. 

• Like 1