What are good beginner plants for 10 gallon?

What are good live beginner plants for a 10? Freshwater tank btw. I have researched Java fern Anubius and rosette Sword…are these good ppants? The tank has medium to high light. I will show a pic of the tank. The tank has artificial plants now but I will change it. No fish in it because of fishless cycle going on now.water has evaporated a lot sense the cycle is on day 22.

BBF61D33-5E87-4118-8251-D6646A252C6A.jpeg

Edited by Bigdog99

I use dwarf Sagittaria, swords. Hornwart as a floater(destroys nitrates fast). Anubias and Java ferns are tough and take nutrients from water(don’t bury the rhizome on these). Red tiger lotus, don’t bury the bulb. For higher lights cryptocorynes work well. Pros rave on rotala 

And bacopa . I haven’t used this one 

Edited by Tony s
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2024 at 7:17 PM, A3M0N said:

The 2 plants that have done best in my 10 gallon are java fern and bacopa caroliniana. When I had CO2 going ludwgia repens did really well, but not so much without it. If you go with java fern just don't bury it, I superglued the plant to a rock and put it where I wanted it. 

Thanks! I hear that Java fern is a really really good plant so I will give it a shot🙂

On 1/21/2024 at 7:20 PM, Tony s said:

I use dwarf Sagittaria, swords. Hornwart as a floater(destroys nitrates fast). Anubias and Java ferns are tough and take nutrients from water(don’t bury the rhizome on these). Red tiger lotus, don’t bury the bulb. For higher lights cryptocorynes work well. Pros rave on rotala 

And bacopa . I haven’t used this one 

I will look into those too!!!🙂

On 1/21/2024 at 3:47 PM, Bigdog99 said:

What are good live beginner plants for a 10? Freshwater tank btw. I have researched Java fern Anubius and rosette Sword…are these good ppants? 

Swords typically get too large for a ten gallon tank.  I wouldn't recommend getting one.  I almost always recommend crypts for people looking for plant ideas.  They come in a wide variety of sizes and leaf colors, are hardy (though there may be an initial melting back period), and are readily available at any place that sells aquatic plants.  Cryptocoryne wendtii is probably the most common, and would be a good choice for a tank your size.

• Like 1