Prazipro - what water conditioners are safe to use with it?

anodyne99

I'd just done the recommended large water change with my trusty Prime dechlorinator and added Prazipro to treat my fish when I found this on the Hikari website: 

"NOTE: We do not recommend using any sulfur or sulfinite-based water conditioners with this product. If your normal water conditioner does not list the ingredients please verify with the maker that it does not contain these ingredients. If you notice any rotten egg smell to the product, it likely does have these ingredients and should be avoided as it could cause the product to be less effective and the dissolved oxygen levels to be negatively impacted." 

Argh! What should I do now? Prime smells pretty darn sulfurous. 

Do I change it out immediately? If so, can I restart tomorrow after I've obtained a sulfur-free water conditioner and done a 100% change, or do I need to wait three days? Can I leave it overnight? I don't notice any ill effects on my fish or but perhaps that's because the sulfur has inactivated the praziquantel? 

Finally, does anyone know of a sulfur free-Prazpro safe water conditioner? Hikari recommends that I buy one of their products (of course) that I've never seen available near me, alas. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much. It sounds like you used Prime with success. I will keep the Prazipro in the water for now. I noticed that other formulations of praziquantel don't mention this sulfur issue, which makes me wonder if it isn't really about selling more product. I suppose it could be chemically altered in some way in their specific formulation, but fingers crossed it still works!