First planted tank

hfaulk

Hi there!

I am looking to upgrade my goldfish to a bigger, planted tank. I was wondering what kind of substrate would be best for this, and if there are any specific suggestions people have. I also have a couple of shrimp in the tank so hopefully having a planted tank will be nicer for them to have more hiding spots and stuff. Are there any specific things (plants etc.) I could add for the shrimp too? Any other tips for putting together a planted tank would be appreciated as this will be my first time attempting one 🙂

It’s worth noting the goldfish and shrimp have been living together in a smaller than ideal tank for a while now and neither bothers the other. I’ve even spotted a baby shrimp around the tank, so they seem to be fine living together.

This is the tank I will be using: https://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/superfish-start-70-tropical-kit-black/p4966

• Like 1

I've never kept goldfish, but from the (excessive LOL) videos, blogs, and forum posts I have engaged with of the hobby, I've gathered this from the people who have: goldfish and plants don't really mix. Apparently they will eat almost any plant they come in contact with and finding plants they won't just devour is difficult. So before you invest hundreds of dollars into a planted aquarium, you might want to do some search into plants goldfish won't eat. 

Editing to add this post I found from the Co-Op on some plants they're less likely to eat: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/goldfish-plants

Edited by Miranda Marie
Adding resource
  • Like 2

On 1/7/2024 at 7:58 AM, hfaulk said:

Hi there!

I am looking to upgrade my goldfish to a bigger, planted tank. I was wondering what kind of substrate would be best for this, and if there are any specific suggestions people have. I also have a couple of shrimp in the tank so hopefully having a planted tank will be nicer for them to have more hiding spots and stuff. Are there any specific things (plants etc.) I could add for the shrimp too? Any other tips for putting together a planted tank would be appreciated as this will be my first time attempting one 🙂

It’s worth noting the goldfish and shrimp have been living together in a smaller than ideal tank for a while now and neither bothers the other. I’ve even spotted a baby shrimp around the tank, so they seem to be fine living together.

This is the tank I will be using: https://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/superfish-start-70-tropical-kit-black/p4966

It can be done. We loved this tank a few years ago…

Water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) can keep up with Goldfish omnivorous appetite. A large mother-plant of Water Lettuce also survived.

• Like 3

On 1/7/2024 at 5:35 PM, Fish Folk said:

It can be done. We loved this tank a few years ago…

Water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) can keep up with Goldfish omnivorous appetite. A large mother-plant of Water Lettuce also survived.

Thank you 🙂 May I ask what substrate you used? Thanks

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 1:29 AM, Fish Folk said:

Just the cheap, smooth aquarium stones. I’d stay clear of sharp Substrate. They like to mouth stones.

What kind of size would you recommend for the stones?

• Like 1