Plants losing their leaves!

Hey all,

I have had this desk tank set up for a couple of months. The plants have remained totally healthy and things looked great. All of a sudden, yesterday, one of the species of plants just started losing all its leaves! I really am not sure what is going on here. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

PXL_20240105_235727102.jpg

PXL_20240105_235732182.jpg

PXL_20240106_042548319.MP.jpg

• Like 1

I was gonna say that I had this happen to me and it's nuts! It's definitely distressing. In my case, also with Staurogyne Repens, it ended up being an issue where GH crashed on me. I would grab a GH and KH test kit and verify what's going on there.

Rule of Thumb is that you generally want GH to be double your KH.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 11:42 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I was gonna say that I had this happen to me and it's nuts! It's definitely distressing. In my case, also with Staurogyne Repens, it ended up being an issue where GH crashed on me. I would grab a GH and KH test kit and verify what's going on there.

Rule of Thumb is that you generally want GH to be double your KH.

Thanks. I'll check it in the morning. I'm sure it's too late for these ones and I'll need to replant since it's such a small tank (2.6g). Look like water changes are the fix then too, which I don't do too often on this tank since it's a SUPER low bio load (shrimp and snail only).

I'd go with the simplest solution and say your plants look to be suffering from malnutrition. As plants grow you need to add more fertilizer. Same as with fish, as your fish grow you need to add more food or they die of starvation. It's very unlikely that after a couple of months of your plants being totally fine your kh & gh changed resulting in leaf loss/poor growth.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2024 at 5:40 AM, JoeQ said:

I'd go with the simplest solution and say your plants look to be suffering from malnutrition. As plants grow you need to add more fertilizer. Same as with fish, as your fish grow you need to add more food or they die of starvation. It's very unlikely that after a couple of months of your plants being totally fine your kh & gh changed resulting in leaf loss/poor growth.

I've started dosing it with Easy Green. Probably too late to salvage though.

On 1/6/2024 at 8:15 AM, knee said:

Are they getting enough light? 

I believe so... about 8 hours a day.

On 1/6/2024 at 11:46 PM, wes.crockett said:

I've started dosing it with Easy Green. Probably too late to salvage though.

You'll be surprised how resilient plants are given favorable conditions. I'd error on the side of over dosing rather than under dising & keep an eye out for new growth.

• Like 1