Hello Everyone!

I figured I'd do an introduction with a bonus question of: what the heck is this in my tank?

The background. I'm a returning hobbyist who lives in Kitsap County, WA. I've kept both salt and freshwater tanks in the past, but it's been a few years since I had any wet pets. I'm jumping back in with a 15 gallon cube (to be upgraded later in the year most likely to a 29 gallon).

I'm 10 days into my fishless cycle. I added Fritz 7 bacteria when I saw my first testable ammonia, four days ago. Yesterday I scored 0 ammonia for the first time since and hoping today we get to 0 nitrites as well. Water is finally clearly after the usual cloudiness.

Now, onto the mystery. I woke up today to find this strange string thing in my tank (picture attached). No idea what this is. I've never seen anything like it before except for maybe fish poop when they are feeling poorly. But there's no fish in this tank. No livestock at all. I did see what I think was one copepod bopping around when I checked into the tank today, but that's it. Any thoughts?

Edited to add: It's attached to the roots of a pennywort that's sort of dangling around that driftwood piece. It moves pretty freely around in the current. I haven't yet done a water change. Again I was hoping to do that today if we'd gotten to 0 nitrites.

I was hoping to go to the fish store if my parameters had all stabilized today, but maybe that's a bad idea?

Hello! And thank you!

PXL_20240102_205707033.jpg

Edited by Dria
  • Like 1

Minor update: just did my testing and I'm still showing nitrite so the fish store is off regardless. And it's actually been 12 days since I started the tank up. Had to consult with my spreadsheet! 😂

• Like 1

Welcome fellow Washingtonian! I'm just down in the Olympia area but grew up in Kitsap. There are quite a few of us on here from the general Puget Sounds area.

If you're getting back into the hobby you should consider joining the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS).

To me that thing in your tank looks like a strand of hair algae. Does it feel like a long piece of hair or spider web?

On 1/7/2024 at 11:54 AM, Schuyler said:

Welcome fellow Washingtonian! I'm just down in the Olympia area but grew up in Kitsap. There are quite a few of us on here from the general Puget Sounds area.

If you're getting back into the hobby you should consider joining the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS).

To me that thing in your tank looks like a strand of hair algae. Does it feel like a long piece of hair or spider web?

I'll be honest, I didn't touch it! I kind of didn't want to without knowing what it was. It has since broken off and grown back a few times, never as long as that first time. I do have tufts of hair algae growing now, so maybe? I've never seen one big long strand like that. Interesting! I was guessing it might be some kind of fungus growth because it was close to the driftwood there that was just entering it's full-on ugly phase.

I have a few more plants now to hopefully help curb further algae growth. And they helpfully came with a few pond snails that are now enjoying the grazing life. I've never let those hang out in my tanks, but boy are they little lawn mowers!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check out GSAS.

• Like 1