What is this?

ramssl

Does Anyone know what this is growing on my driftwood? The tank is only about 2 months old, had to remove most of my Christmas moss because of brown hair algae and now this is growing all over my branches. Is this a form of black beard? Should I leave it or remove it? I tried searching it on google photos but dont really get good results on what this is, mostly pics of stuff growing in salt water tanks. Tried to get good photos but my phone stinks lol.

20231227_155233_resized.jpg

20231227_155415_resized.jpg

20231228_110329_resized.jpg

20231228_110149_resized.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 12/28/2023 at 11:16 AM, Sarina said:

Ooooo you lucky duck, that is a red moss/algae called Caloglossa cf. beccarii. It is rare, and rather expensive when you can find it. 

Wow that was fast Thank you so much. So I guess I should leave it then right? Just looked it up you are absolutely right. Thank you, Thank you , Thank you🙂

Edited by ramssl
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 10:20 AM, ramssl said:

So I guess I should leave it then right?

Leave it, grow it, and when it gets big enough, you can pull pieces from it and create new clusters! You can pretty much treat this stuff like moss, but it needs to be attached to wood rather than stone in most cases. I have been looking for some for a while now, I knew what it was immediately 😅

• Like 2

On 12/28/2023 at 11:37 AM, Sarina said:

Leave it, grow it, and when it gets big enough, you can pull pieces from it and create new clusters! You can pretty much treat this stuff like moss, but it needs to be attached to wood rather than stone in most cases. I have been looking for some for a while now, I knew what it was immediately 😅

Thank You again. When it grows out I will be more then happy to send you some. Starting to grow all over my driftwood in the back as well.

20231228_114714_resized.jpg

20231228_114726_resized.jpg

20231228_114736_resized.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Oooh, I’m soooo jealous!  I was too slow seeing this and posting, but I’ve been on the alert for this for a while, too.  Put me on the list to get some when you have enough to share!  Happy to pay you for the plant and for shipping!  I doubt the Coop will ever be able to have this available for quantity sale, so I don’t think this particular plant will violate group rules.  😉 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 2:24 PM, Odd Duck said:

Oooh, I’m soooo jealous!  I was too slow seeing this and posting, but I’ve been on the alert for this for a while, too.  Put me on the list to get some when you have enough to share!  Happy to pay you for the plant and for shipping!  I doubt the Coop will ever be able to have this available for quantity sale, so I don’t think this particular plant will violate group rules.  😉 

I will for sure keep you in mind as well as long as its within group rules I have no problem sharing it.This is a new tank but it is starting to grow all over my driftwood, once it get bigger someone will have to tell me how to propagate it, or is it just like any other moss? I will have to read up on this, heck I didn't even know what it was thats why I asked , I almost took it out after all the hair algae I had, glad I asked first 😄

20231228_160639_resized.jpg

20231228_160605_resized.jpg

Edited by ramssl
added pics
  • Like 1

I would probably get some small bits of well aged driftwood twigs and lay them across your existing wood pieces as close to this “moss” growth as possible and hope some transfers.  I’m not certain if it would sustain loose in a bag or be able to quickly be attached by other means like other moss/algae does.