What Are the Best Biomedia Combinations to Put in Filters for the Clearest Water?

MelissaRoze

My water in my 50 gallon aquarium has been looking a little bit yellow/greenish here lately.. I currently have a TopFin Pro Series 70 Filter in use that comes with a bag of carbonated charcoal, ceramic rings and a coarse sponge.. 

I was wondering if I should add &/or replace some of the included Biomedias for something that would/could be more beneficial to my freshwater tank? Or any suggestions on good chemicals to use routinely to help with clearing the water?

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. thank you!😊

To reduce particulate matter, you need a finer filter media.  Filter floss is great at removing particulates, but clogs more quickly than sponge.  It's also easier to clean than sponge, but isn't as reusable (you just throw it away).  So, there are tradeoffs.  I lean towards filter floss and fine filter media because I like clear water and I want to be able to quickly maintain my filter.

For a yellowish tinge to the water, that may be caused by both the biological processes in your tank as well as the break down of wood (tannins).  Activated carbon and other forms of chemical filtration will clear that up.  Many folks choose not to use chemical filtration because (a) they don't want it filtering out fertilizer and trace elements and (b) they don't mind slightly yellow water.  Personally, I don't use chemical filtration.  There is disagreement on how long activated carbon and other chemical filtration lasts (with biofilms possibly interfering with them).

A green tinge to the water might be algae.  You could try reducing light intensity.  Also, you'll want to test various water parameters to see what might be lacking for your plants (and why algae is currently outcompeting them).

If you are seeing cloudy water, that might be a bacterial bloom.  That could point to a tank not being cycled yet, over feeding, etc..

Edited by Galabar
  • Like 2

All very good advice by @Galabar

Pictures of the tank could help us identify (or at least give educated guesses) to what is causing the cloudy water. From there, we could help you make a plan of attack. 

For yellow or green tinge that leads me to believe either tannins (for yellow-ish) or the start of green water (for green-ish). 

For tannins it’s either carbon, or additional water changes. For green water, it has been additional and/or larger water changes for me. My dirted 6 gallon cube has gotten the start of green water 3 times now over the 2 years the tank has been set up. Any time I make a slight change I get the start of green water. This time it was because I took the few (dying) red root floaters out of the tank. Any slight change throws off the balance and I have to do additional water changes, or larger water changes and it clears up again. 

Update: I did a water change on my tank that has the start of green water, and figured I’d share it here so you have something to compare to. 
IMG_5454.jpeg.f19a8440a12cd60d0cba79e264c6b0e6.jpeg

In a white bucket you can really tell the color of the water. In the tank, it just looked cloudy, but considering I’ve seen this a couple of times already I knew it was the start of green water. Couple more bigger water changes spaced out over the coming weeks and it should be all cleared up again. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes