Help me build a 40b ram tank

wackbards

I'm cycling a 40 breeder, and I think I'd like to run this as a hot community tank designed around German blue rams. I've only ever had Bolivian rams. I need advice!

Basics of the setup:

Everett city water (soft), 40b, co-op light, sponge filter, 2x aqua clear 50 HOBs side by side. Will run 2x co-op 100w heaters. Activ flora black sand. Currently growing some dwarf chain sword, val, bacopa, a tiger lotus. I usually run crushed coral in a HOB because our water is so soft, but I could easily reduce/remove it. I'll set up a couple of terracotta forts for the rams in opposite corners.

I'd like to do 2 pair of rams, plus a community. I'm thinking in addition to the rams:

1) Either corys or kuhli loaches

2) Cherry shrimp. Yes, yes, they will get munched on

3) a small school- maybe tetras?

4) A surface dwelling centerpiece like a beta or a gourami 

5) Snails?

This tank gets a lot of natural light, so anything that helps to manage algae and will look amazing in natural light is a bonus. It's also right next to my desk, so outgoing fish are better than shy guys.

Anywho... These are the broad strokes I'm envisioning. How would you set up & stock a 40b for rams?

• Like 1

What you have in mind sounds good already I think. As for tetras, maybe a school of serpae tetras? The splash of red would look nice. Sure, the shrimp are red but like you say, they will be munched on and will therefore likely not be prominent.

As for centerpiece, I think I would go for a gourami instead of a betta. But a nice angel fish would also look great.