Does my tank have a disease? Two betta fish died.

juliana-mae

After I brought in some plants and two nerite snails from a local aquarium store into my 9 gallon Fluval Flex, my betta fish came down with a disease and died. I thought at the time it was ammonia poisoning that happened from overfeeding while we were on vacation, but then I got another betta fish. At that point, the tank was cycled (it hadn't been previously). The new fish came down with the same disease and died (I tried quarantining and medicating, but it didn't work). The snails and plants have been living in the tank by themselves 6 months or so. One of the snails died. Do I try to save the other snail or do I need to euthanize it? I want to clean out the tank and probably give it away. But I feel bad for the snail. I would be willing to move him into a fresh tank I have, but I'm scared to ever put him in with another creature because he might have a disease.

Thank you for any help. 

On 12/20/2023 at 7:19 PM, juliana-mae said:

After I brought in some plants and two nerite snails from a local aquarium store into my 9 gallon Fluval Flex, my betta fish came down with a disease and died. I thought at the time it was ammonia poisoning that happened from overfeeding while we were on vacation, but then I got another betta fish. At that point, the tank was cycled (it hadn't been previously). The new fish came down with the same disease and died (I tried quarantining and medicating, but it didn't work). The snails and plants have been living in the tank by themselves 6 months or so. One of the snails died. Do I try to save the other snail or do I need to euthanize it? I want to clean out the tank and probably give it away. But I feel bad for the snail. I would be willing to move him into a fresh tank I have, but I'm scared to ever put him in with another creature because he might have a disease.

Thank you for any help. 

What symptoms were you seeing in your Bettas from the onset  of symptoms to the time they died how did it take  for them to die any Reddening of the Gill's or body rapid breathing what were your water parameters at the time if you can remember 

Edited by Colu

Thank you for responding! 

From the onset of symptoms, I would say it took a month or two for both fish to die. No reddening of the gills, but yes, body rapid breathing and laying on the substrate. Water parameters with the second fish were Ammonia: 0, Nitrates: 0, Nitrite: 0. The first fish was Ammonia: .5, Nitrates: 10, Nitrite: .5 when I got home from vacation, I got the ammonia and nitrite under control shortly after I got back. 

I followed this protocol with the second fish: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/faqs/how-to-use-quaratine-med-trio. With the first fish, I did try some sort of medication in the tank, but I can't remember what it was.

Edited by juliana-mae

On 12/21/2023 at 2:11 PM, juliana-mae said:

Thank you for responding! 

From the onset of symptoms, I would say it took a month or two for both fish to die. No reddening of the gills, but yes, body rapid breathing and laying on the substrate. Water parameters with the second fish were Ammonia: 0, Nitrates: 0, Nitrite: 0. The first fish was Ammonia: .5, Nitrates: 10, Nitrite: .5 when I got home from vacation, I got the ammonia and nitrite under control shortly after I got back. 

I followed this protocol with the second fish: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/faqs/how-to-use-quaratine-med-trio. With the first fish, I did try some sort of medication in the tank, but I can't remember what it was.

Redding on the body can be caused by a bacterial infections or ammonia burn fish can die weeks after being exposed to high levels of ammonia is it possible you had a spike of ammonia with the second fish and missed it 

On 12/21/2023 at 4:32 PM, juliana-mae said:

No, I was being very conscientious with the second fish and the tank was cycled. 

If there's no ammonia with the Redding to the body possible bacterial infection. I would have expected that to have killed your fish in shorter space of time. 4-8 weeks is long time for a bacterial infection to take to  kill your fish. possible parasitic infection causing tissue damage that has caused the Redding to the body it's all speculation at this point. 

On 12/22/2023 at 12:26 AM, juliana-mae said:

Do you think it’s likely the snail is infected? I’m wondering if I need to euthanize him or if he could ever live with another fish again? 

Most pathogens and parasites can't survive for longer than 30 days with a hostout I would quarantine the snail for at least a month before putting it in  with other fish 

Edited by Colu

I'm sorry to hear about your bettas. 😢 To determine if your tank has a disease, it's crucial to look for symptoms such as unusual behavior, changes in appetite, spots, or discoloration on the remaining fish. Also, check water parameters like ammonia KH, pH, and GH, nitrites, and nitrates to ensure good water quality. Quarantine any sick fish immediately, perform a partial water change, and monitor closely. Consider reaching out to a local fish store or an aquarium expert for a more detailed diagnosis based on specific symptoms.

Edited by Lindaronstadt