I'm attempting java fern again

I've decided to try again with java fern. It has become a personal challenge/experiment for me. I've tried many times with no success. Bought them from several places, tried both emersed and already submersed, tried regular, windelov, and narrow leaf varieties to no avail. 6 months is the longest I've been able to keep one before it completely dies 

Stopped by PetSmart a week ago and bought the 6inch tube of a healthy looking narrow leaf. Had 4 pieces tied together. Removed the little black string and rinsed them off then put them (floating for now) in 2 already "seasoned" tanks that already have well established plants. 

Water parameters almost identical in these tanks. 

PH stays at 8.0

0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 30-40 ppm nitrates

Both kh and gh I haven't tested in awhile,but I do know I have very hard water, but I know people locally that have good success with them. One guy I know grew one in a bucket in his garage for a year with just topping the bucket off with aquarium water. It was surprisingly large.

Both tanks get easy green once a week have low to medium light

Anyone got any ideas what I can do different?

I'm wondering if my ph and hard water are the culprits. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 10:15 PM, Shadow said:

Question....do you plant in substrate? 

I have quite a bit of success with mine in multiple tanks and I never plant them. Just plant weights at the ends and tuck them away behind rocks or nooks where the weights cannot be seen. They are not a plant that enjoys having their roots planted. 

No. I usually stick them in crevices or attach them to a small rock or driftwood with a small dab of super glue or string. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 9:33 PM, mtnmonster said:

No. I usually stick them in crevices or attach them to a small rock or driftwood with a small dab of super glue or string. 

Maybe try to allow them a little more flow and not attach them next time, use plant weights instead and allow the roots to flow more. Also, mine aren't on a very aggressive light cycle either. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update....

2 of the 4 pieces I have floating are starting to get some new growth. You can see some new leaves starting on this one's rhizome.  IMG_20231228_211254158.jpg.ee404852f40f64f85518346f2d4c9049.jpg

The other two in another tank really aren't doing much. That tank is always slower because it's harder to keep balanced. 

Maybe my luck with java ferns is turning around. 

Glad its not just me and the java fern that struggle! I've never had luck with it, had a beautiful rock cave deal i made for a tank with java fern tucked and tied all over, never did much than my raphael cat knocked all the plants off, ended up just leaving em and they collected on a rock in the tank and now i just have a random huge mess of a  java fern bush that i'm not quite sure whats keeping it in the tank!