Cichlids in a smaller tank - Stocking Question

Rockhound

Hi, I'm looking at converting an existing tank I have into a cichlid tank or keep it as a community tank with some cichlids (depending on what seems to be best). The tank I have a 35 Gallon (36L x 12D x 18H). If I were to go with dwarf cichlids (I know I am limited to the dwarf species) realistically what or how many could I have in here? I'm thinking German Rams, Bolivian Rams, Apistogrammas, etc... I'd also be looking to have it nicely aquascaped to help facilitate this.

I appreciate any help! 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 12:12 PM, Rockhound said:

Hi, I'm looking at converting an existing tank I have into a cichlid tank or keep it as a community tank with some cichlids (depending on what seems to be best). The tank I have a 35 Gallon (36L x 12D x 18H). If I were to go with dwarf cichlids (I know I am limited to the dwarf species) realistically what or how many could I have in here? I'm thinking German Rams, Bolivian Rams, Apistogrammas, etc... I'd also be looking to have it nicely aquascaped to help facilitate this.

I appreciate any help! 

@Rockhound welcome to the forum. I suggest testing your water to find out if it suits the species you have listed. Some from the wild come from water with lower PH hardness. Test GH, KH, and PH and list them here.

On 12/19/2023 at 11:23 AM, Tlindsey said:

@Rockhound welcome to the forum. I suggest testing your water to find out if it suits the species you have listed. Some from the wild come from water with lower PH hardness. Test GH, KH, and PH and list them here.

Hey! 

My city has some softer parameters... I'll list them below:

pH: 7.4ish (my tests)
Total hardness: 83.1 (ppm CaC03)
Total Alkalinity: 68 (ppm CaC03)
Alkalinity Bicarbonate: 83 (ppm)

I haven't personally tested GH/KH but my city lists it's water tests and those are the average values so I'd presume my water would be in an around those.

• Like 1

I'd say a pair of any of those and some dithers.  But I tend to not want a blood bath in my aquariums.  Footprint for a 20L/29 is decent for a pair of apistos in my limited experience.  Yours is a bit bigger than that, so possibly a trio (2F, 1M) might work out.

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 1

I'd go for a pair bonding species that is appropriate to the dithers you keep (for example rams require 82 and borelli 74 (thought the borelli are actually quite flexible); your water is moderately soft. There are 100's of dwarf cichild species - i'm partial to a. nijjensi and nannacara amolae but there are others with pros and cons. Some are more interactive with their owners (i really like my keyholes) and others are more skiddish but happy to see you (b. cupido); and some just wnat you to feed them and leave them alone (a. cockatoo). The a. sp winkelspec are not bad and will do a dance when you say hi to them. 

Anyway given your tank size and experience level - i'd start with something not too aggressive and fairly robust and flexible on water condition which fits a. borelli. They are not pair bonding and like most domestic fishes are horribly inbred but if you can find a nice dark blue opal male they are at least quite lovely:

If your aquarium was larger i'd suggest 6 keyholes.

borelli.jpg.7cd551772006a159fc4f6094bff520d3.jpg

• Like 2