planning to use Activ-Flora Planted Aquarium Substrate for my planted tank.

varun

Hey Folks,

i intend to use Activ-Flora Planted Aquarium Substrate for my planted tank. is this substrate by itself is good enough or is it inert and acts just like a cap? i intend to grow monte carlo, amazon sword, java fern, creeping charlie and a few other plants in my tank. but i do want to plant slightly on the heavier side. this will be a 75 g tank. trying to save some money as the more nutrient rich soils seem to be super expensive. My main concern here is growing the monte carlo.

Edited by varun
  • Like 1

I have used several different Activities-Flora substrates in tanks. I find that the different forms all present very differently. I prefer their line of Black substrates above others. It is finer (less coarse) than Eco-Complete, but you will end up needing a LOT of it for a 75 gal. If you're willing to be patient, and not add fish too soon, there are some ways to "cheat."

For serious plant people . . . I apologize. This is going to sound like terrible advice. Please feel free to disagree. My son set up a very nice planted tank a few years ago by  pouring in some Osmocote Plus into the lower layers of substrate to bury fertilizers early on. You could wash out some medium black diamond blasting sand for an inch-layer. It can be gotten at Tractor Supply. It is inert coal slag, and the dust is terrible. You'll need to be willing to spend a good hour washing out buckets of it in a tub. (My wife hates t when I do that . . . even in the basement bathroom). Once washed, it is an acceptable substrate that will stay low, beneath a cap of larger substrate pieces. If you spread _some_ Osmocote Plus powder on top of that 1-inch BDBS, and then add a second layer of BDBS, you can cap that with a third inch or more of your black Activ-Flora. That will still cost you a fair bit. The Activ-Flora will have a lot of nutrients built in, but it is basically going to just serve you well for initial set up. As far as I know, it ends up being an inert substrate. Over time, it will gather mulm, detritus, etc. to promote plant growth in a normal tank.

When you add water, you will need to spread bubble wrap over the entire substrate surface, and pour water onto that in order to keep from stirring up all of the layers. It will be a cloudy, nitrate spiked mess for awhile. Lighting will be crucial for a 75 gal. Do not start with long photo periods. Add TONS of plants, and start with a narrow photo period. Dose liquid fertilizers regularly, and add root tabs for the Amazon Swords. Slowly, you can increase the photo period as plants begin to take hold and grow. Do not add any fish until the entire system is thoroughly cycled, and nitrates are being absorbed by healthy plants. If I may, I recommend som red Tiger Lotus plants for color, nice bronze Crypts (hardy, colorful), and some screaming bright green Hygros. I like Hygropila polysperma. The combination / contrast of greens, browns, and reds will make your planted tank an absolute stunner.

Now . . . there are, of course, proper ways to prepare a planted tank. If you spend loads of money on excellent aqua-soil, your plants will of course thrive.  Remember that what I've shared above is just a way to "cheat." Monte carlo needs quality lighting to thrive, carpet, etc. A 75 gal is deep enough that the light throw needs to be sufficient to really penetrate. Swords and Java ferns will survive fine without any extra work. 

thank you for the tips! i actually have a little bit of experience with plants. but this is the first time i am doing a carpet and thus i am so worried about the soil. i have never put in a bronze crypt. can you recommend anything specific?