Just had to put a fish down for the first time and could use some comfort

Seshia

Today I noticed that one of my cherry barbs was spiraling very badly while swimming, was getting stuck on hardscaping, and was visibly barely able to breathe. Two days ago I noticed he was swimming a little oddly, but seemed to be fine a few minutes later. Due to how quickly things were progressing and how distressed he was I chose to euthanize him with clove oil so that he wouldn't suffer as much before dying.

It's the first time I've had to put a pet down and I'm pretty shaken up, and scared that it might spread to my other fish. I took him to a local disease expert but she said that she doesn't have any clear idea to the cause. I could use some comfort/advice/encouragement. Thanks for being a welcoming and caring community.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 6:35 PM, Seshia said:

Today I noticed that one of my cherry barbs was spiraling very badly while swimming, was getting stuck on hardscaping, and was visibly barely able to breathe. Two days ago I noticed he was swimming a little oddly, but seemed to be fine a few minutes later. Due to how quickly things were progressing and how distressed he was I chose to euthanize him with clove oil so that he wouldn't suffer as much before dying.

It's the first time I've had to put a pet down and I'm pretty shaken up, and scared that it might spread to my other fish. I took him to a local disease expert but she said that she doesn't have any clear idea to the cause. I could use some comfort/advice/encouragement. Thanks for being a welcoming and caring community.

The worst part of having pets of any kind is having to experience the end of their life. It never truly becomes “easy” to help them along into the next life, but over time you come to realize you are doing them a final act of kindness.

I myself had to euthanize a fish the other day, and even after having done the same thing many times before, it still sucks.

In my opinion, all of us as caretakers of other creatures need to overcome our own discomfort in order to do the right thing for our pets in the end when their quality of life has degraded beyond acceptability.

Take comfort in knowing that if your fish could talk, they would likely say thank you for not allowing them to suffer needlessly.

Edited by DallasCowboys16
  • Like 3

I agree with @DallasCowboys16 I have also had to euthanize a fish well it was actually a fry that had been injured due to my own lack of attention in a given moment. It was a very heartbreaking experience especially when such an accident was avoidable however there was comfort in knowing that to euthanize while difficult did not prolong the poor creatures suffering. I hope you find comfort in knowing you did the right thing though that in no way makes the sadness easier. 
As for advice I would continue to watch the rest of your fish and if any start to show similar symptoms do not hesitate to post on the disease part of the forum where we will all gladly try to help you.

Fish that develop difficulty swimming or maintaining orientation do not suffer with it long in the wild.  They become prey very quickly.

I have taken such fish and put them in hospital tanks to try to treat with aquarium salt and antibiotics to give it a chance at recovery.  I havent had any success with that.  I don’t feel I did those fish any favors.

Intentionally ending a life is not supposed to be easy.  By removing the ailing fish you have ended the suffering of one and possibly saved the others from a similar fate.  It still hurts if that fish was special to you.  If you have done your best, that is all that can be expected of you.  Your fish could have done worse under someone else's care.

If you have no other issues in the next week or two, purchase two or three new friends.