Sanity Check - Bulb Plants

Hello hello,

Thanks to the wonderful, kind efforts of @Chick-In-Of-TheSea I have some new plants!!!! 😍

Like much of the plants out there, there are some I have only researched and never had hands on.

These ones are a bulb type, aponogeton ulvaceus species.  They came in looking pretty good and of course I'm excited for the new plant-venture.

A few questions though and just wanted to confirm everything.

1.  The bulb is above the substrate when planted and the roots go down.  I should or should not slightly submerge the bulb to help it root a little bit? (let's say 25% of the bulb covered?)

2.  Some of the leaves might be ok.  I don't know how much melt to expect?  Previously I've heard it will fully melt back, then regrow once it's acclimated.

3.  Some plants you want to trim the emersed leaves to encourage growth, I don't think these are ones that you would as it should be submerged growth.  I was reading online, but google was giving me results for terrestrial bulb plants, that if you can save a leaf or keep a leaf, it's a good idea because it will help it to recover.  So.... I definitely should try to recover all the leaves, right?

4.  If anyone has info or a guide on how, propagating these out?  I've heard some are very difficult, others might be easier.

I appreciate all of the guidance.  Thank you!

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 4:40 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

IMG_6536.jpeg

Literally reading this right now. 🙂

As a sidenote, I didn't realize how many bulb plants there really are!

One of my personal favorite aquatic plants is A. ulvaceus of Madagascar. Twenty-inch long, almost 2 inch wide smooth, shiny, undulating bright green leaves, with greens, russets and golds in bright light, typify this plant. This gorgeous plant when happy grows like mad, shooting out leaf after leaf and becoming a dominant force in the aquarium. Each plant produces two flower spikes, but fertilization for seed production is only possible if there's another ulvaceus in the tank; use a soft brush to transfer pollen from one plant to another.

As with all Aponogetons, ulvaceus corn should be laid on top of the gravel until growth ensues. Wait until several leaves and roots form before gently pushing the corn under the gravel.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 5:55 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Some plants you want to trim the emersed leaves to encourage growth, I don't think these are ones that you would as it should be submerged growth.  I was reading online, but google was giving me results for terrestrial bulb plants, that if you can save a leaf or keep a leaf, it's a good idea because it will help it to recover.  So.... I definitely should try to recover all the leaves, right?

Yep! Existing leaves helps the plant photosynthesize, store up & use the energy to produce new growth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1