De-worming pea puffers

E.J.

If your using levamisole that can affect shrimp causing them to slow down and be harmful to apple snails rabbit snails flubendazole and fenbendazole can be  extremely toxic to snails and can be harmful to shrimp so wouldn't recommend using them in a community tank with shrimp praziquantel and metronidazole active ingredient in paracleanse are safe to use with shrimp if you need to treat using the other medications I mentioned I would quarantine your puffer and treat levamisole praziquantel metronidazole flubendazole and fenbendazole won't harm your other fish as long as you don't overdose the medication 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

On 12/15/2023 at 7:54 PM, Colu said:

If your using levamisole that can affect shrimp causing them to slow down flubendazole and fenbendazole are extremely toxic to shrimp and snails so wouldn't recommend using them in a community tank with shrimp praziquantel and metronidazole active ingredient in paracleanse are safe to use with shrimp if you need to treat using the other medication I mentioned I would quarantine your puffer and treat levamisole praziquantel metronidazole flubendazole and fenbendazole won't harm your other fish as long as you don't overdose the medication 

Fenbendazole is shrimp safe I'm pretty sure.  I have used it in my tanks to kill hydra multiple times in the past with  no impact on reproduction.  But it will completely annihilate any snails and will continue doing so unless the tank is fully cleaned and restarted.

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2023 at 9:39 AM, Shrimptanks said:

Fenbendazole is shrimp safe I'm pretty sure.  I have used it in my tanks to kill hydra multiple times in the past with  no impact on reproduction.  But it will completely annihilate any snails and will continue doing so unless the tank is fully cleaned and restarted.

From what I have read there's a fine line between a safe dose of fenbendazole and a toxic dose that will kill shrimp so I would always air on the side of caution when using any medication with shrimp in the tank 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2023 at 8:29 AM, Colu said:

From wha I have read there's a fine line between a safe dose of fenbendazole and a toxic dose that will kill shrimp so I would always air on the side of caution when using any medication with shrimp in the tank 

Yeah as with most meds.  I think the general consensus is 0.1g per 10 gallons of water is safe.

Tbh ive made one of my tanks look like Pablo Escobar's wonderland and the shrimp were unaffected....sadly aquarium leeches were unaffected too.  lol.

• Thanks 1

Sorry to get off topic a bit but do your pea puffers get along with the cories, shrimp, and tetra?  I have read mixed reviews with most saying don't put tankmates with pea puffers but I want to try it.  I have a 75G community tank so there would be plenty of room for everyone to have space.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 2:52 PM, NOLANANO said:

Sorry to get off topic a bit but do your pea puffers get along with the cories, shrimp, and tetra?  I have read mixed reviews with most saying don't put tankmates with pea puffers but I want to try it.  I have a 75G community tank so there would be plenty of room for everyone to have space.

Sorry it took a bit to respond, yes everyone gets along. The tetras are nippy but only with themselves. Not the puffers.

The puffers leave everyone alone unless a Cory goes into one of the caves that a puffer decided it is his..the cory gets ran out.

Even the shrimp are fine but mainly only see them at night.

On 12/26/2023 at 7:31 PM, E.J. said:

Sorry it took a bit to respond, yes everyone gets along. The tetras are nippy but only with themselves. Not the puffers.

The puffers leave everyone alone unless a Cory goes into one of the caves that a puffer decided it is his..the cory gets ran out.

Even the shrimp are fine but mainly only see them at night.

How many do you have and how big is your tank?

On 12/27/2023 at 8:51 AM, NOLANANO said:

How many do you have and how big is your tank?

5 puffers, 6 serpae tetras, 4 Cory's and oto's and only 3 shrimp

On 12/27/2023 at 8:55 AM, E.J. said:

5 puffers, 6 serpae tetras, 4 Cory's and oto's and only 3 shrimp

40g

• Like 1