White spots on new fish

FishGuy919

Just bought some new Congo Tetras from Dan's fish. Dan's fish quarantines and medicates their fish. I just got my new fish in yesterday and I was surprised to see some white spots on one of the Congo Tetras. It doesnt look like ich. Maybe fungal? The fish is eating and swimming around normally. None of the other Congos have any white spots. I put them in a fully cycled quarantine tank that had no previous issues. Should I try to treat or just observe? @Colu

image.png.3fa4f63c417099976e3f8d270bbc52d3.png

On 12/13/2023 at 11:54 AM, FishGuy919 said:

Just bought some new Congo Tetras from Dan's fish. Dan's fish quarantines and medicates their fish. I just got my new fish in yesterday and I was surprised to see some white spots on one of the Congo Tetras. It doesnt look like ich. Maybe fungal? The fish is eating and swimming around normally. None of the other Congos have any white spots. I put them in a fully cycled quarantine tank that had no previous issues. Should I try to treat or just observe? @Colu

image.png.3fa4f63c417099976e3f8d270bbc52d3.png

Does it have a fuzzy appearance i can't tell with your picture 

Edited by Colu

On 12/13/2023 at 12:02 PM, FishGuy919 said:

Its looks like it might be fuzzy. Hard to be 100% certain. The spot on the body seems raised. Here is another pic. I will include a video too. thx @Colu

image.png.d44810dd929b073fc5dc1db895e650b1.png

It could be an injury caused during shipping. and it starting to develop a secondary fungal infection I would treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons. and add one dose of ick X and let it marinate for 5 days. if it starts get worse give us an in 5 days i before then if it get worse

On 12/13/2023 at 12:16 PM, FishGuy919 said:

I have plants and also have a brand new killifish in my quarantine tank with the Congos. Will salt impact the plants or the killifish? This is the type of killifish. https://dansfish.com/product.detail/5294/Aphyosemion-christyi-'Kinshasa'-Pair-(1M1F)-(Aphyosemion-christyi)

Yes salt at that level will harm the plants I have no experience with killifish I just looked up that species and I can't find any information regarding salt tolerance you could  use the co-ops treat protocol for fungal infections using maracyn and ick X instead of salt 

Screenshot_20231213-122159.png

Edited by Colu

On 12/13/2023 at 12:59 PM, FishGuy919 said:

I have ich-x on hand. But I only have Maracyn 2. Will Maracyn2 work instead of regular Maracyn? @Colu

I think the antibiotics more about preventing secondary bacterial infections caused by the fungus damaging the skin so you could use maracyn2 instead of maracyn 

• 2 weeks later...

I reached out to Dan's fish about the white patches and they said sometimes more active fish like Congos and Rainbows will move around a lot in the bag and will sustain injuries. So the Congo likely sustain injuries during the shipping process. I just kept things simple and dosed Ich-x every other day for a total of 3 doses. The white patches disappeared in a couple days. In the original pictures there was a vertical white line that went down the fishes' tail fin. Everything following the white line on the tail fin ended up breaking off, I'm guessing do to the injuries sustained while shipping. All-in the fish seems okay now though. No more white spots and Im expecting its tail to grow back soon. Thanks @Colu

• Like 1