Fireyblack Shiner Journal

Fish Folk

In my foray into keeping North American Native fish in home aquaria, I came upon the stunning Fireyblack Shiner (Cyprinella pyrrhomelas). In the wild, they look like this…

Obviously, they handle high flow very well! I made a visit to Knoxville, met the guy who posted this footage, and he gave me juveniles (F1) he had raised in captivity. As the year has gone on, and they have matured, I found that I have  two males and a half dozen females. I cannot stop photographing them…

IMG_5408.jpeg.a7666ee90b803508ada8bd6d6e8c681c.jpeg

IMG_5421.jpeg.62452333617bc89aa6516660d94dab66.jpeg

IMG_5592.jpeg.3e1fc004ce5ce857f87b3415b55991a7.jpeg

IMG_5963.jpeg.6e47764a03c60a1e19cc130ce323d797.jpeg

Here, you can see how full this female is with roe. 

IMG_5982.jpeg.52b9b21fa017f93370360f1e14caf042.jpeg

So today, I decided it was high time to try breeding them.

For me, there are only two species of freshwater fish I am Ok with keeping but NOT breeding: (1) Goldfish (2) Discus. Both are ornamentally satisfying enough for my taste to keep without breeding. Everything else must breed to keep me happy 😅

Here are a series of short describing the process of setting up a love nest for my Fireyblack Shiners.

I began with plans to modify / divide the 55 gal. tank space…

IMG_5985.jpeg.69c4b0a8db6dc634bb424752a234a4b6.jpeg

1. Set up plan…

2. Initial Set up…

3. Observations…

4. Adaptation…

After this was filmed, I moved the bio-wheel back into the corner and turned down the intensity of the air-stone.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Nice female! I unfortunately got mostly males, and some very young possible females. I'll go back sometime and see if I can't get a few females, but gotta wait for a pair of waders because though it is NC, it's in the foothills of the Blue Ridge and is coooooolllddd!!!!

Hope you have success with the Fieryblacks!

(p.s: Have you had any success with Greenheads recently? I've been extraordinarily busy recently so haven't been on the forum much)

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 2:27 AM, AquaHobbyist123 said:

Nice female! I unfortunately got mostly males, and some very young possible females. I'll go back sometime and see if I can't get a few females, but gotta wait for a pair of waders because though it is NC, it's in the foothills of the Blue Ridge and is coooooolllddd!!!!

Hope you have success with the Fieryblacks!

(p.s: Have you had any success with Greenheads recently? I've been extraordinarily busy recently so haven't been on the forum much)

I bet it’s freezing out in them there local mountain waters!

Nothing happening with Greenheads… hence the attempt to get my F-blacks spawning.

I have extra females if you decide you want to try spawning them.

• Love 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...