Black beard algae and hydrogen peroxide

Nina

I have my first mild/moderate black beard algae outbreak.  I've cut off a lot of infected leaves and removed and cleaned the rocks, but I can't get everything and want to keep defeating it (slowly over months is fine).  I've heard H2O2 works well, but I have snails.  What is the correct dose of H202 and in it safe for snails? 

If your BBA is on wood or hardscape, remove it from the water, and spray the area with 3% H202 (over-the counter). Wait 5 minutes. Then put it back. The BBA will turn red / pink and die off.

No idea about snails. Unless they're ornamental pets -- e.g. Mystery Snails --  I wouldn't worry too much about them. I assume that the chemical reaction with H202 balances out in tank water reasonably quickly once re-immersed.

The tragic problem is . . . once you get some going . . . BBA is very, very hard to eliminate. I've bought a group of Siamese Algae Eaters before. They do wonders. I have a Clown Pleco that seems to eat some BBA if it's on wood. Some people buy Female Florida Flagfish to nibble on algae.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 5:12 PM, Nina said:

I have my first mild/moderate black beard algae outbreak.  I've cut off a lot of infected leaves and removed and cleaned the rocks, but I can't get everything and want to keep defeating it (slowly over months is fine).  I've heard H2O2 works well, but I have snails.  What is the correct dose of H202 and in it safe for snails? 

Here is a screen shot from a reliable source about the procedure of H2o2 usage.

Screenshot_20231209_093941_Firefox.jpg.5b6401e39cc8760a076a0285b64a2ce0.jpg

This post was referring to blue green algae but I would Imagine the procedure would be the same for BBA

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1