55 Gallon SA Cichlids

macdaddy36

I am considering setting up a south american community tank with some larger cichlids in a 55 gallon.

These fish should be compatible with a pair of Apistogramma Panduro I already have.

I am currently considering:

1. Keyhole Cichlid (x3-4)

2. Laetacara, Dwarf Flag Cichlid (x4)

3. Bolivian Ram (x4)

4. Apistogramma Macmasteri (pair)

5. Schooling Fish (some kind of characin)

Would all these be compatible in a 55?

Any other suggestions?

Would the flag cichlids be agressive to rams and apistos?

Too many bottom dwelling cichllids?

I think 16 cichlids is way too much in a 55, but maybe that's just me.  I had three male apistogramma hongsloi in a 55 (similar size and temperament as macmasteri from my understanding) and that felt cramped in a lot of ways.  Without a female, they did get along well, though.  I'd worry that a blood bath (or blood baths) could ensue when some of these cichlids want to spawn.  You might be better off leaving the second pair of apistos out of the mix?  

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 11:05 AM, jwcarlson said:

I think 16 cichlids is way too much in a 55, but maybe that's just me.  I had three male apistogramma hongsloi in a 55 (similar size and temperament as macmasteri from my understanding) and that felt cramped in a lot of ways.  Without a female, they did get along well, though.  I'd worry that a blood bath (or blood baths) could ensue when some of these cichlids want to spawn.  You might be better off leaving the second pair of apistos out of the mix?  

Ok, that makes sense. Maybe leaving the rams off as well would be good.

• Like 1

Having the space to relocate fish can open some doors.  Even if just temporarily if things don't work out and you need to find someone to take them off your hands.

I personally hesitate to even get into possible issues with aggression, but everyone has their own goals/preferences.  The thing to remember about all cichlids is that they might go on a murdering spree at any point.  Though obviously there are differing chances based on species and sexes.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 9:53 AM, macdaddy36 said:

I am considering setting up a south american community tank with some larger cichlids in a 55 gallon.

These fish should be compatible with a pair of Apistogramma Panduro I already have.

I am currently considering:

1. Keyhole Cichlid (x3-4)

2. Laetacara, Dwarf Flag Cichlid (x4)

3. Bolivian Ram (x4)

4. Apistogramma Macmasteri (pair)

5. Schooling Fish (some kind of characin)

Would all these be compatible in a 55?

Any other suggestions?

Would the flag cichlids be agressive to rams and apistos?

Too many bottom dwelling cichllids?

To put it bluntly keeping a m/f a. panduro with m/f a. macmasteri in a 55 is unlikely to work  - ignoring all the other aggression you are adding. I would think by the end of the year all you would have left might be 2 or 3 l. c and perhaps 3 or 4 of the keyholes. 

I'd pick ONE of your 5 set of cichild with some characin. The problem is a 55 is kind of a bad aquarium for cichild - tall narrow aquarium just aren't that great for aggressive fishes guarding frys.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2023 at 5:23 AM, anewbie said:

To put it bluntly keeping a m/f a. panduro with m/f a. macmasteri in a 55 is unlikely to work  - ignoring all the other aggression you are adding. I would think by the end of the year all you would have left might be 2 or 3 l. c and perhaps 3 or 4 of the keyholes. 

I'd pick ONE of your 5 set of cichild with some characin. The problem is a 55 is kind of a bad aquarium for cichild - tall narrow aquarium just aren't that great for aggressive fishes guarding frys.

Ok. I've only ever kept peaceful community tanks and the panda apisto are the only cichlids I have had. Since I could only put the one species, and I only would have 3 tanks, I will probably skip the SA cichlids and go with another community tank. 

Edited by macdaddy36