Columnaris or fungal infection?

Ogpulchra2

Hi, I recently bought panda cories and noticed they have white fuzz on their bodies after I got them into their quarantine tank. I'm leaning towards a fungal infection since I not seeing anything on their faces.

I think the ACO website recommends Ich x and maracyn to treat fungal infections. Are these good meds to start with? 

20231204_181901.jpg

20231204_181847.jpg

20231204_181907.jpg

20231204_181722.jpg

There's a few things going on.  It's hard to see detail in the first 3 photos.  In the last photo, on the tail it looks like what would be signs of fin rot on the tail.  the gills are a little reddened which isn't good for corydoras.

Can you please share full water parameters including temperature?  If possible, try to get more photos of the fuzz or white stuff you see on the body of the fish. I only see the oddness in the tail on the fish, but not any white stuff on the body of the fish.

If you have little spots all over the fish it could be ich.  Treatment for that would be ich-x and salt.  (co-op has a video on ich as well as a guide on how to treat it when cory encontered it in the 800G.

If you have fungal issues, the treatment would be ich-x and salt, coincidentally.  There is also a product called jungle fizz tabs which work for antifungal as well.

For the fin rot in question, you would want to use a product like maracyn 2 or kanaplex as well as aquarium salt.

Salt may cause some issues with your plants, so if you have QT the best thing to do would be to remove the fish to a QT system.  If you don't then consider moving the plants to a bucket for a week or two.  Salt dose with corydoras is going to be 1 tbsp per 2 gallons and after about 3-4 weeks they get a little uncomfortable with the salt dose.  It should help with the gill redness as well as help with any external issues. 

Note, whenever you add salt or meds, add air.  For corydoras especially you want to do this to make sure that they have good oxygenation.

On 12/4/2023 at 6:48 PM, Ogpulchra2 said:

20231204_181907.jpg

This looks a bit like extra slime coat being produced, but it's very difficult to see.  If it's bacterial the kanaplex would help with that treatment.  If you don't see improvement, after the kanaplex for the fin rot (usually 2 weeks of treatment) you can give the fish a break and then follow up with something like maracyn.

fungal infection would present like a ball of cotton or appear like the end of a q-tip on the body of the fish.

On 12/4/2023 at 6:48 PM, Ogpulchra2 said:

20231204_181722.jpg

Note, because you have shrimp in there, it's best to move the fish out of this tank for treatment.  Shrimp can handle 1 tbsp per 5G salt dose, but they will struggle with higher doses.

• Thanks 1

Temp 77°, ph 7.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate about 20ppm.

The white patches are hard to see, but they are towards the back of the body and are visible in the first 2 pictures. I'll try to get better pictures.

I bought the fish yesterday in Oregon and noticed the symptoms when I got them home, so thankfully it's not something that developed in one of my tanks. I suspect the sick ones were hidden away because I didn't notice anything at the store. 

I'll move them out of the tank right away and start treating with salt and kanaplex. Thank you! 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 8:31 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

There's a few things going on.  It's hard to see detail in the first 3 photos.  In the last photo, on the tail it looks like what would be signs of fin rot on the tail.  the gills are a little reddened which isn't good for corydoras.

Can you please share full water parameters including temperature?  If possible, try to get more photos of the fuzz or white stuff you see on the body of the fish. I only see the oddness in the tail on the fish, but not any white stuff on the body of the fish.

If you have little spots all over the fish it could be ich.  Treatment for that would be ich-x and salt.  (co-op has a video on ich as well as a guide on how to treat it when cory encontered it in the 800G.

If you have fungal issues, the treatment would be ich-x and salt, coincidentally.  There is also a product called jungle fizz tabs which work for antifungal as well.

For the fin rot in question, you would want to use a product like maracyn 2 or kanaplex as well as aquarium salt.

Salt may cause some issues with your plants, so if you have QT the best thing to do would be to remove the fish to a QT system.  If you don't then consider moving the plants to a bucket for a week or two.  Salt dose with corydoras is going to be 1 tbsp per 2 gallons and after about 3-4 weeks they get a little uncomfortable with the salt dose.  It should help with the gill redness as well as help with any external issues. 

Note, whenever you add salt or meds, add air.  For corydoras especially you want to do this to make sure that they have good oxygenation.

This looks a bit like extra slime coat being produced, but it's very difficult to see.  If it's bacterial the kanaplex would help with that treatment.  If you don't see improvement, after the kanaplex for the fin rot (usually 2 weeks of treatment) you can give the fish a break and then follow up with something like maracyn.

fungal infection would present like a ball of cotton or appear like the end of a q-tip on the body of the fish.

Note, because you have shrimp in there, it's best to move the fish out of this tank for treatment.  Shrimp can handle 1 tbsp per 5G salt dose, but they will struggle with higher doses.

I found a bunch of articles about "slime coat disease", and the pictures matched what I'm seeing on my fish. Thank you for that observation! I'll start with kanaplex and salt, but I ordered a bunch of meds for different bacterial/parasitic infections that could be causing issues with their slime coat. 

• Like 1