Are my dosing calculations correct

My GH now is ~70ppm and I'm aiming for ~90 in a 10G tank.

The dosing instructions on the bottle are 7ml for 15 gallons equals 1meq/l

My GH test is in ppm so I'm having to convert and its confusing me. I think I have it right but I just want to be sure. I came up with .46ml would be ~10ppm in my tank. Is that right?

On 11/30/2023 at 4:10 PM, JoeQ said:

Check the link, for some reason my pictures upload corrupt 

Yeah you're right, the instructions are different on the bottle. Website says 5ml for 10 gallons. Bottle says 7ml for 15 gallons, which is slightly less than 5ml for 10 gallons.

Do I go with the website or the bottle lol?

On 11/30/2023 at 4:16 PM, Supermassive said:

Yeah you're right, the instructions are different on the bottle. Website says 5ml for 10 gallons. Bottle says 7ml for 15 gallons, which is slightly less than 5ml for 10 gallons.

It's still "close enough", 4.6ml compared to 5ml for a 2.8dGH change per 10gallons.

Heres an example to convert degrees to ppm use  Xdgh * 17.9

2.8dgh * 17.9 = 50.12ppm

To convert the ppm to degrees use Xppm/17.9

70ppm GH/17.9 = 3.9dGH

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 1:10 PM, JoeQ said:

Check the link, for some reason my pictures upload corrupt 

Standard dose raises GH by 1 meq/L (2.8 dGH)

To raise mineral content/ general hardness (GH) by 1 meq/L (2.8 dH), use 5 mL for every 40 L (10 US gallons) when setting up an aquarium or when making water changes (add to new water). Thereafter, use once a week (or as needed).

This dose raises GH by 1 meq/L (2.8 dGH).

Target a lower general hardness for soft water, a higher value for hard water (see chart).

So.  For every 10 Gallons, 5 mL raises it by 2.8 degrees. Let's just call it 3 degrees for the sake of simple math and sanity.

cut the dose by 33% and you would use 1.7 ml per 10G to raise it one degree per 10 gallons.

On 11/30/2023 at 1:16 PM, Supermassive said:

I'm sure it's a rounding thing and "close enough" to the bottle and the website matching.  I would use the website and I would run small scale tests in something like a 5G bucket.  Take 5G, add 1ml and see the change. re-test after 24 hours, etc.

• Like 1