Adding Amano shrimp directly to betta tank.

Supermassive

I had an Amano shrimp in my betta tank but I'm pretty sure it escaped. I guess its possible that its hiding somewhere in the tank but it doesn't seem likely to me. I saw it everyday before it disappeared and that was about 2 months ago so yeah I think he's gone.

I really liked having him in the tank so I want to replace him with another one or two. However I really hate trying to net my fish and if I'm going to have to remove the betta I'd rather not even get the shrimp. So, I'm wondering how bad of an idea would it be to add the shrimp without removing the betta first?

My betta never really bothered the first shrimp I had. He would check the shrimp out but he wouldn't chase it or try to kill it or anything. Seemed like he was just being curious and the shrimp would dart away if he got too close. Also there is a nerite snail in the tank and my betta only gets mad at it when its on the front of the glass near the top. Anywhere else in the tank and he doesn't care about it.

Do you think it would be a big risk to add shrimp without removing the betta first?

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 2:55 PM, Supermassive said:

I had an Amano shrimp in my betta tank but I'm pretty sure it escaped. I guess its possible that its hiding somewhere in the tank but it doesn't seem likely to me. I saw it everyday before it disappeared and that was about 2 months ago so yeah I think he's gone.

it's very very common for this to happen when first adding shrimp to a tank.  With amano shrimp specifically there are reasons for why they in particular tend to escape.  All shrimp will go a bit crazy when parameters aren't ideal, but amano shrimp really do think they are semi-aquatic sometimes.

1.  A betta typically is recommended to have a pretty high temperature. This does two things, it makes the shrimp pretty uncomfortable, depending what your temp is, but it also leads towards lower oxygenation in your water.  Adding an air stone, fine bubbles, would give you some added oxygenation and shouldn't upset the betta too much as well.

2.  Amano shrimp come from rivers and streams, which tend to have a good amount of circulation, while bettas come from a very different environment.  It doesn't mean they can't be compatible, but it's just a note that they want slightly different things.

3.  Most shrimp like to have wood and rocks to graze on.  Wood works really well.  A good piece of mopani can also act like a rest for the betta as well!

On 11/26/2023 at 2:55 PM, Supermassive said:

Do you think it would be a big risk to add shrimp without removing the betta first?

It's definitely not a risk. It's moreso a balance of getting things right for the amano shrimp and keeping the betta happy.  Any sign of stress and the amano will want out.  You can keep the waterline a little lower during the first few weeks and see if that helps or use a net/lid on top of the tank for the first couple weeks.  After the shrimp is acclimated and used to the tank, then you shouldn't have too many issues unless your water parameters run into an issue.

Slow acclimation or drip acclimation is best for all shrimp and snails in any situation.  Start there.

Edited by nabokovfan87
switched video to one with better audio
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 7:12 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

it's very very common for this to happen when first adding shrimp to a tank.  With amano shrimp specifically there are reasons for why they in particular tend to escape.  All shrimp will go a bit crazy when parameters aren't ideal, but amano shrimp really do think they are semi-aquatic sometimes.

1.  A betta typically is recommended to have a pretty high temperature. This does two things, it makes the shrimp pretty uncomfortable, depending what your temp is, but it also leads towards lower oxygenation in your water.  Adding an air stone, fine bubbles, would give you some added oxygenation and shouldn't upset the betta too much as well.

2.  Amano shrimp come from rivers and streams, which tend to have a good amount of circulation, while bettas come from a very different environment.  It doesn't mean they can't be compatible, but it's just a note that they want slightly different things.

3.  Most shrimp like to have wood and rocks to graze on.  Wood works really well.  A good piece of mopani can also act like a rest for the betta as well!

He seemed to be doing very well before he disappeared, at least that I could tell. He was in the tank for around two weeks before he disappeared. He was constantly grazing on the driftwood and plants in the tank. I also got some of those ZooMed spirulina banquet blocks for him to eat but he never touched it.

My tank is usually at 80 degrees. I could probably lower it 1-2 degrees. And I've always ran an airstone in the tank.

As far as circulation I have an aquaclear 20 turned all the way down and its a 10G tank. My betta has short fins and he swims directly under the filter outlet so I could probably increase it a touch if necessary. Also there is a bunch of plants where the filter outlet is dampening the flow.

I do have a glass lid but he still escaped. Either when I was doing maintenance or through a small gap by the filter that I have since covered.

Also I think I remember you saying that you had a shrimp disappear on you too. Did it ever turn up?

Edited by Supermassive
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 4:36 PM, Supermassive said:

He was in the tank for around two weeks before he disappeared. He was constantly grazing on the driftwood and plants in the tank. I also got some of those ZooMed spirulina banquet blocks for him to eat but he never touched it.

My tank is usually at 80 degrees. I could probably lower it 1-2 degrees. And I've always ran an airstone in the tank.

As far as circulation I have an aquaclear 20 turned all the way down and its a 10G tank. My betta has short fins and he swims directly under the filter outlet so I could probably increase it a touch if necessary. Also there is a bunch of plants where the filter outlet is dampening the flow.

In my experience some lines of amano shrimp can be sensitive to higher PH.  It may or may not be related, but something to test for (high end for me is 7.6 and my amano showed stress).  They won't usually go on the banquet blocks or much of anything when they are pretty happy.  I can see them grabbing a betta pellet or two and running off to eat it in a darker place of the tank. 

I wouldn't adjust temp, just be aware of how that affects oxygenation.  The added airstone in the tank helps and you can just mess with the flow as you deem ok for the betta.

On 11/26/2023 at 4:36 PM, Supermassive said:

I do have a glass lid but he still escaped. Either when I was doing maintenance or through a small gap by the filter that I have since covered.

Yep! A lot of time they will use the ramp on the HoB as their own personal mountain spring. 😂

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 7:40 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

In my experience some lines of amano shrimp can be sensitive to higher PH.  It may or may not be related, but something to test for (high end for me is 7.6 and my amano showed stress).  They won't usually go on the banquet blocks or much of anything when they are pretty happy.  I can see them grabbing a betta pellet or two and running off to eat it in a darker place of the tank.

Could be Ph. My Ph is between 7.2 and 7.6. Its hard to tell with the API drop test. I think it was a bit higher when I had the amano shrimp.

I think my tank should be good though so ill give it another try with the Amano shrimp. Thanks for the advice. 

On 11/26/2023 at 7:40 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yep! A lot of time they will use the ramp on the HoB as their own personal mountain spring. 😂

Lol, the little buggers. 😂

On 11/26/2023 at 4:57 PM, Supermassive said:

Could be Ph. My Ph is between 7.2 and 7.6. Its hard to tell with the API drop test.

Yep!  I highly recommend the GH/KH test kit.  I have that same... is it 7 or is it 7.6 weirdness on so many PH tests.  I tend to use the low range one and ignore the high one because of that issue.  Maybe that helps! 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 7:59 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I highly recommend the GH/KH test kit.

I actually have a GH and KH test kit. GH in the tank is ~70ppm and KH is ~40ppm

On 11/26/2023 at 7:59 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I have that same... is it 7 or is it 7.6 weirdness on so many PH tests.  I tend to use the low range one and ignore the high one because of that issue.

Yeah kind of annoying lol. I've been thinking about getting a digital Ph meter but they vary from 10-100 dollars so I'm concerned about the reliability of the cheap ones.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 5:03 PM, Supermassive said:

I actually have a GH and KH test kit. GH in the tank is ~70ppm and KH is ~40ppm

KH is definitely on the lower side (ph for me is about 7 at that KH).  So that's good!

I would look into something like equilibrium to give the shrimp a little GH if you go down that route.  Not much, but just a little bit.

On 11/26/2023 at 5:03 PM, Supermassive said:

Yeah kind of annoying lol. I've been thinking about getting a digital Ph meter but they vary from 10-100 dollars so I'm concerned about the reliability of the cheap ones.

definitely.  Whatever you get, make sure you get some calibration solution.  I think they need to be calibrated each time you test (or just about).

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 2:43 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

With your KH at 40 and GH at ~70, I would target a GH of ~100 and try to keep it around there.  Your range would be min 80 up to 125 or so.

Should I do that slowly with water changes or can I add a little each day directly in the tank until it gets to ~100ppm?

On 11/30/2023 at 12:10 PM, Supermassive said:

Should I do that slowly with water changes or can I add a little each day directly in the tank until it gets to ~100ppm?

amanos are pretty easy.  You can just put in the GH and I wouldn't expect too much of an issue.  If we were talking KH, I would be more concerned.  That being said, 1 degree per week is absolutely safe and you can take the slow approach to get it up gently.  Your GH right now at that base level is perfectly acceptable.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 3:16 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

amanos are pretty easy.  You can just put in the GH and I wouldn't expect too much of an issue.  If we were talking KH, I would be more concerned.  That being said, 1 degree per week is absolutely safe and you can take the slow approach to get it up gently.  Your GH right now at that base level is perfectly acceptable.

I have a betta in the tank currently. Could a sudden GH shift affect fish or would have to be a bigger change?

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 12:25 PM, Supermassive said:

I have a betta in the tank currently. Could a sudden GH shift affect fish or would have to be a bigger change?

I can't imagine it's a major issue. That being said changing things 1 degree every few days is the norm, doing that slight increase over a week should be very minimal and calm enough to allow the fish to acclimate through that time period.  Meaning add in the dose to increase it by 1 degree or half of that dose and just wait at least 24 hours and rest your water to see the changes.  Then you'd wait a few days before your next adjustment in whichever increment.

• Like 1