Blind gold neon tetra

Marie

Hello everyone !

I received today a school of gold neon tetra. While I was acclimating them I noticed one of the little guys was completely blind. Both his eye are “empty”.

After a few hours in the dark in the quarantine tank, I try to test feed them with some brine shrimp to see if they are eating. All of them are eating super well but the blind one just swim in the middle of brine without managing to catch a single one. Later I try with some micro pellets directly with a pipette and targeting this blind guy. Again a failure.

I tried marinating the micro pellet in some garlic guard and still target feed him. This time I saw him eat two small pieces when I managed to eject the micro pellets right in front of him at like 1cm from his head. 😩😩😩

So there is hope but wanted to ask if anyone had some advice on how to approach this ? Good thing is that now he is special to me so he deserves a name! He will be now knows as Illidan 😝 #warcraft

IMG_1967.jpeg

@Marie I think thats Albino... Based on the huge difference in colouration from the others... I have heard although albino species do have a hard time seeing. I don't know how to help as I have never had a 'blind' fish. But I think enough research should do you some good.

Thank you for your reply 🙂

I think it’s an issue with the light and how the picture is taken because he is not different than the others.

He was more active today and ate some pellets. 
I contacted the breeder who also said if necessary, a possibility would be to put blind fish in their own tank so they have access to food while they acclimate.

@Marie, np, anytime. Although I missed the comment by an hour. Remember, if you want to ping members and notify them about your reply type @(screen-name). 

I'm gonna ping a person who could help more than I can 

@Colu 

Edited by Kaiju

Thank you 😊 

And no worries for missing the post 🙂 

i did ask the question on the live stream of Prime Time Aquatics, their recommendation would also be to place the fish in its own tank if not eating because of the group. Right now he is ok, so I will continue to keep Illidan with the rest of the herd 😎

• Like 1