Hello all…here are the rocks, throw them at me (j/k)

LaurieC

Hi.. I’m Laurie- and I admit it- I am absolutely IN LOVE with my Ghost/Glass/Grass/whatever Shrimp.  I find them fascinating.  I have elderly, adult, teen, toddler and newborns.  
    I began in the hobby many years ago and had a successful Reidi seahorse pair (but it broke my heart when I couldn’t keep the babies alive past 3 months in spite of what I thought were pretty ingenious methods)- then came my babies- which I was thankfully more successful with! But they didn’t allow me much free time.
      Now, as a grandmother with a bit more time, I decided on a freshwater tank and began mine. After about 3 months, I got some “sacrificial” ghost shrimp at 59 cents each.  I didn’t expect them to live long- nor did I think I’d be absolutely captivated by thier transparency and life cycles and personalities.
   I look forward to reading and learning as much as I can from all of you with your more “respectful” aquariums and thier inhabitants!
😁

• Like 3

Hi that's wonderful to hear you are returning to the hobby after a break. 😁 Ghost shrimp are a fun way to start they definitely have a certain beauty to them I haven't kept them in a few years but maybe I have just received the inspiration to. If you would be willing I would love to see photos of your setup. What else are you planning to stock the tank with?

• Love 1

@LaurieC Welcome to the forum and back to the hobby! I personally have never heard anyone keep seahorse before, how exciting it must have been! Ghost shrimp are very beginner-friendly, which is a good start for someone jumping back into the hobby! I personally like cherry shrimp in the orange colorations (Orange is my favourite colour). Hope your tank and your shrimp last long and thrive!

Er for the welcome back into the hobby

On 11/18/2023 at 8:44 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I got shrimp with the hopes of having easy live food for my fish, but now I won't let the fish have any. 😂 They really are fascinating!

Welcome back to the hobby.

I’m glad you agree and share my fascination, Calmedbyfish! I sit with my pet bunny in my lap while watching my shrimp- if I got any calmer, I’d be comatose! Win win!

On 11/17/2023 at 5:43 PM, Kaiju said:

@LaurieC Welcome to the forum and back to the hobby! I personally have never heard anyone keep seahorse before, how exciting it must have been! Ghost shrimp are very beginner-friendly, which is a good start for someone jumping back into the hobby! I personally like cherry shrimp in the orange colorations (Orange is my favourite colour). Hope your tank and your shrimp last long and thrive!

I think the cherry shrimp are beautiful and share your liking the orange the best- but with my aging eyes- they are hard to observe in Any detail! Even with my glasses AND a magnifying sheet leaned against the glass! (Growing old sucks sometimes!) Thank you for the kind wishes!

On 11/17/2023 at 5:15 PM, JE47 said:

Hi that's wonderful to hear you are returning to the hobby after a break. 😁 Ghost shrimp are a fun way to start they definitely have a certain beauty to them I haven't kept them in a few years but maybe I have just received the inspiration to. If you would be willing I would love to see photos of your setup. What else are you planning to stock the tank with?

Hi jea47 will gladly share photos when I figure out how to do that! I’m thinking I’ll continue to  keep a dedicated shrimp and plant tank. But my old seahorse tank is safely stored away so my options are open! I should get it out and set up for cycling! Any suggestions? What are you into?

@LaurieC Fair enough shrimp are a very interesting creature to keep in a colony. Currently I am in love with my golden white cloud minnows they are so vibrant and I have managed to breed them so that is definitely part of the charm. I look forward to seeing photos of your shrimp.😀