Sick Spotted Raphael catfish, please help!!

alyssa.hadley94

*I’m new here- first time posting and new to this hobby*
I had an ich outbreak in my tank. It came from a fish that I had purchased from Petco. It infected my entire tank, and the new fish died within two days. I treated with ich x after doing almost a complete water change. My goldfish seem to be doing slightly better today, however..my Japanese algae eater seemed extremely stressed, lost his golden color and I found him dead today. 
I also have noticed my two spotted raphael cats surface swimming? Coming out during the day which is extremely odd behavior. I have barely seen them in the year I’ve had them.
 I immediately panicked and did almost another complete water change and replaced the filter inserts. The cats are still alive but so lethargic. And still sitting out in the open. My heart is broken. I am so worried that I’m going to lose them both. What should I do next? I have not dosed ich-x since the most recent water change today. Although ich-x has no copper in the ingredient and says it’s safe for scaleless fish such as catfish and algae eaters. My water parameters will not be a correct reading due to all of the water changes the past three days. I will get a pic of my cats when I get home this evening from work. I hope someone has some experience. I’ve combed through the internet and Reddit searching for any advice, and I’m not finding much 😔

The most effective treatment for ich is gradually raise the temperature to 82 treat daily with ick X following the instructions on the bottle and add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons as ich causes massive electrolyte loss and the salt will add back in essential electrolytes just remember to only put back in what you take out so if you do a 5 gallon water change add back in 1 table spoon of salt as salt only removed though water changes @alyssa.hadley94and add an extra air stone during treatment

On 11/14/2023 at 7:12 PM, Colu said:

The most effective treatment for ich is gradually raise the temperature to 82 treat daily with ick X following the instructions on the bottle and add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons as ich causes massive electrolyte loss and the salt will add back in essential electrolytes just remember to only put back in what you take out so if you do a 5 gallon water change add back in 1 table spoon of salt as salt only removed though water changes @alyssa.hadley94and add an extra air stone during treatment

But can the catfish handle salt? I was worried because I already put 1 tbsp in when I started the ich-x and I think that’s what killed the Japanese algae eater. I didn’t know that catfish and algae eaters are sensitive to salt. 

On 11/15/2023 at 12:23 AM, alyssa.hadley94 said:

But can the catfish handle salt? I was worried because I already put 1 tbsp in when I started the ich-x and I think that’s what killed the Japanese algae eater. I didn’t know that catfish and algae eaters are sensitive to salt. 

At higher dose they are more sensitive to at the level I recommended 1 table spoon for 5 gallons is fine with scaleless fish I have used that level on my bristlenose with out any issues 

On 11/14/2023 at 7:26 PM, Colu said:

At higher dose they are more sensitive to at the level I recommended 1 table spoon for 5 gallons is fine with scaleless fish I have used that level on my bristlenose with out any issues 

Okay then I’m wondering if it’s just the ich then that’s making them this way. I will raise the temp slowly. I have it at 72 right now. The catfish are still just laying on their sides on the bottom of my tank. It’s weird that they both are acting this way. My pleco seems unphased. 

On 11/15/2023 at 12:29 AM, alyssa.hadley94 said:

Okay then I’m wondering if it’s just the ich then that’s making them this way. I will raise the temp slowly. I have it at 72 right now. The catfish are still just laying on their sides on the bottom of my tank. It’s weird that they both are acting this way. My pleco seems unphased. 

Are the spots raised or flat if there raised you could be dealing with epistylis that feed's off of gram negative bacteria on the slime coat of your fish and spreads more quickly at higher temperatures here's how you tell the difference increase surface agation and add more air stones

1000000051.png

On 11/14/2023 at 7:35 PM, Colu said:

Are the spots raised or flat if there raised you could be dealing with epistylis that feed's off of gram negative bacteria on the slime coat of your fish and spreads more quickly at higher temperatures here's how you tell the difference increase surface agation and add more air stones

1000000051.png

I am almost sure that it is epistylis now that I’m reading these comparisons side by side. I’m gonna have to take another closer look when I get home and I’ll try to get a pic of the fish as well to see if you agree. I assumed ich because of how common it is but my fish seem to be rapidly dwindling besides the goldfish. 

On 11/14/2023 at 7:38 PM, alyssa.hadley94 said:

I am almost sure that it is epistylis now that I’m reading these comparisons side by side. I’m gonna have to take another closer look when I get home and I’ll try to get a pic of the fish as well to see if you agree. I assumed ich because of how common it is but my fish seem to be rapidly dwindling besides the goldfish. 

Also though my goldfish are responding to the ich treatment, which makes me question it. I don’t see my catfish like ever so it’s hard for me to tell if their eyes look normal or not. The fact that they aren’t hiding is what has me worried. They did look a bit “fuzzy” before I left today for work, but they are black and already have the white dots so it’s so hard to tell!! 

On 11/15/2023 at 12:49 AM, alyssa.hadley94 said:

Also though my goldfish are responding to the ich treatment, which makes me question it. I don’t see my catfish like ever so it’s hard for me to tell if their eyes look normal or not. The fact that they aren’t hiding is what has me worried. They did look a bit “fuzzy” before I left today for work, but they are black and already have the white dots so it’s so hard to tell!! 

If it were epistylis you would want to keeping treating with ick X and do a course of maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days if there not eating dose the tank and do two courses of maracyn2 back to back if you can't get maracyn2 kanaplex is what I would treat with if you can take pictures of the sick fish it will help with a diagnosis1000000026.png.e8f14c4484c5eeba1f30f81d9a02020b.png

Okay I got a pic of one of them. 

72171167530__8F6A0C85-5A67-4C30-A4E8-B11189F16AE2.jpeg

On 11/14/2023 at 8:24 PM, Colu said:

If it were epistylis you would want to keeping treating with ick X and do a course of maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days if there not eating dose the tank and do two courses of maracyn2 back to back if you can't get maracyn2 kanaplex is what I would treat with if you can take pictures of the sick fish it will help with a diagnosis1000000026.png.e8f14c4484c5eeba1f30f81d9a02020b.png

Here is a pic my boyfriend sent me while I am at work. He is still hanging at the bottom. 

72171167530__8F6A0C85-5A67-4C30-A4E8-B11189F16AE2.jpeg

Okay I just got home from work. All goldfish are swimming around. One goldfish still has a few white “salt spots” 

I’m happy at least that both my catfish went back into hiding. They wiggled their tails when I shined my flashlight which is normal behavior. My pleco is also back to his normal self for the most part. I am going to have to continue to treat for ich. After observing again I think it is definitely ich not epistylis. The catfish might be red and lethargic due to medication and the salt treatment? I’m confused maybe I over dosed the ich x? I’m going to continue to observe and do water changes daily. I’m just worried about using the ich x again 

On 11/15/2023 at 5:57 AM, alyssa.hadley94 said:

Okay I just got home from work. All goldfish are swimming around. One goldfish still has a few white “salt spots” 

I’m happy at least that both my catfish went back into hiding. They wiggled their tails when I shined my flashlight which is normal behavior. My pleco is also back to his normal self for the most part. I am going to have to continue to treat for ich. After observing again I think it is definitely ich not epistylis. The catfish might be red and lethargic due to medication and the salt treatment? I’m confused maybe I over dosed the ich x? I’m going to continue to observe and do water changes daily. I’m just worried about using the ich x again 

You can get secondary bacterial infections caused by the damage the ich trophont do to the the skin of your fish if your seeing Reddening on the skin it might be worthwhile also doing a course of maracyn2 as well 

On 11/15/2023 at 5:53 AM, Colu said:

You can get secondary bacterial infections caused by the damage the ich trophont do to the the skin of your fish if your seeing Reddening on the skin it might be worthwhile also doing a course of maracyn2 as well 

Okay thank you for you help!!

, I’m going to head to my local fish store tomorrow morning and see if they have it in stock. This morning both cats are back to their normal hiding spots and seem to be almost back to normal. I have kept the moon light on for the day. 

On 11/15/2023 at 3:18 PM, alyssa.hadley94 said:

Okay thank you for you help!!

, I’m going to head to my local fish store tomorrow morning and see if they have it in stock. This morning both cats are back to their normal hiding spots and seem to be almost back to normal. I have kept the moon light on for the day. 

If you can't get maracyn2 I would treat with kanaplex