shrimp tank fertiliser question

kevincanada

I use EG on my shrimp, yes it is safe to use.  It's a bit of a falacy that copper in some ferts or food will cause issues with the shrimp.  They need copper for proper bodily processes and if they don't have it, that leads to issues.  Either way, EG doesn't have copper, so you're safe either way.

A common technique from Flip is that if you're concerned at all to use half doses of meds or anything to see how the shrimp react.

On 11/14/2023 at 8:15 AM, kevincanada said:

if using ferts will disrupt the tds levels

TDS is not the end all be all for shrimp.  TDS means "there's stuff in the water", so as plainly as possible... yes adding ferts adds things to the water, increasing TDS, but this is not an issue.  Having your KH and GH at the right levels is important for shrimp.  TDS is useful for determining if you have enough of the buffers dosed in the RO water once you have it dialed in for how much to add to said water. 

Basically:
1.  Get your RO water
2.  Add in a known amount of buffer
3.  Measure KH/GH to verify it's acceptable.
4.  Measure TDS.
5.  In future you can just measure TDS....

This is because it's a very, very controlled situation where you have water with a TDS of 0 and you're specifically buffering it to a certain level without any outside variables.

For shrimp, here's another AWESOME content creator.  I highly encourage anyone with shrimp to check em out.

On 11/14/2023 at 8:08 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I use EG on my shrimp, yes it is safe to use.  It's a bit of a falacy that copper in some ferts or food will cause issues with the shrimp.  They need copper for proper bodily processes and if they don't have it, that leads to issues.  Either way, EG doesn't have copper, so you're safe either way.

A common technique from Flip is that if you're concerned at all to use half doses of meds or anything to see how the shrimp react.

The ingredients on my bottle of EasyGreen list "EDTA Diammonium Copper".

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 9:51 PM, Galabar said:

The ingredients on my bottle of EasyGreen list "EDTA Diammonium Copper".

From the website:

Guaranteed Analysis:
—  Water Soluble Nitrogen (N) 2.66%
—  Available Phosphate (P2O5) 0.46%
—  Soluble Potash (K2O) 9.21%
—  Water Soluble Magnesium (Mg) 0.7%
—  Boron (B) 0.015%
—  Water Soluble Iron (Fe) 0.13%
—  Water Soluble Manganese (Mn) 0.036%
—  Molybdenum (Mo) 0.00098%
—  Water Soluble Zinc (Zn) 0.0072%
NPK 2.66 - 0.46 - 9.21

Screenshot_20231115-015502.png.61b5df143c1adb3ff0100f40e400f94e.png

The label does say exactly what you've specified, but it's not listed under the analysis. Either way, I've been using it for years at this point with two species of shrimp without fail or issue.

Edited by nabokovfan87

From Mark's Shrimp Tanks:

https://aquariumshrimpkeeping.com/copper-and-shrimp/

While it may come as a surprise to many, copper isn’t just safe for shrimp—it’s essential. Just like humans and other animals, shrimp require trace amounts of copper for their survival. This is because copper plays a vital role in various biological processes within the shrimp’s body.

Copper is an essential trace mineral that is necessary for the proper functioning of a shrimp’s body. It is involved in the production of certain enzymes, which are proteins that help speed up chemical reactions in the body. These enzymes play a crucial role in various biological functions, including digestion, energy production, and immune function.

Additionally, copper is also a critical component in the development and maintenance of a shrimp’s exoskeleton. Shrimp, like other crustaceans, have a hard exoskeleton that protects their soft internal organs. This exoskeleton is continually shed and regenerated throughout the shrimp’s life in a process known as molting. Copper plays a key role in this process, contributing to the structural integrity of the new exoskeleton.

While the exact amount of copper needed by shrimp is not clearly defined, it is generally accepted that they need minute amounts of it in their diet. This copper is typically present in the food that shrimp eat, whether it’s commercial shrimp food, algae, or even fresh vegetables. Even the water that shrimp live in can provide them with the necessary trace amounts of copper, especially if it’s tap water that has passed through copper pipes.

It’s important to understand that while shrimp need copper, they require it in very small quantities. Too much copper can be toxic to shrimp, so it’s crucial to maintain a balanced level in your shrimp tank. Monitoring the copper levels in your tank and understanding the sources of copper can help ensure that your shrimp get the right amount they need.

In short, copper is not the enemy of shrimp. Instead, it’s an essential mineral that plays a crucial role in their survival and well-being. The key is to provide the right balance—not too much, not too little.