Community Tanks Journal

macdaddy36

some stuff arrived today

IMG_3338.jpeg.bc765c74c17d8386db9de7c00e3aecd7.jpegIMG_3336.jpeg.46b59ceeb49e26d002297794b58c0e8a.jpegIMG_3340.jpeg.555a1ce777ff946f5d52cacf96c4169b.jpeg

QT is full of stuff again. The Blue emperors are schooling around and have already eaten and the plants looks good, although the swords have all of water leaves. The tetra have some fin damages unfortunately.

Neither of the hillstream loaches survived the trip. No delays, but when they arrived the water stunk so bad and was 8.0 ppm ammonia. Not sure what happened there.

I visited preuss pets in Lansing michigan today. I didn’t take may pictures but they had set up this aquascape since the last time I had been… pretty cool!

IMG_3345.jpeg.3931b6feaf13c7724af7ecfbe7162f04.jpeg

I only got 2 things — A little internal filter for the cube and a Red Honey Gourami.

I am pretty confident this is not a Honey gourami but rather a thicklip gourami. He’s kind of beat up, he was in a tank with blue gourami and he was the last one.

IMG_3352.jpeg.2cb3db91d826e91fee86ec3f9db88623.jpeg

On 4/21/2024 at 6:33 PM, macdaddy36 said:

Can anyone who has hillstream loaches comment on what they eat?

look up a few, but the classics would be.... NLS Algaemax (it's a mix of the types of algae they do well with.  Things that generate aufwuchs / films on surfaces, which would even include some shrimp foods like BacterAE.  Repashy Soilent Green, bottom scratcher, and super green. (in gel or powder form). 

Krill flakes, spirulina flake, also does well as does something like frozen brine shrimp. They like to sit on flat surfaces to eat and then they lift up like doing a push up and suck in the food.  Things that make that behavior easy is good for them.  Same as oto, corydoras, foods like that.