De snailing a tank...

Bitty

Any one used copper to eliminate snails from a tank.  I'm not anti snail but I feed this tank heavy to promote breeding and the bladder snail eggs clutches are all over the front of the tank.  Is Seachem Cupramine Copper a possibility?

• Like 1

Its a 55 with only 2 CPDs and super red long fin and starlight plecos.  I'm trying to get the plecos primed for breeding but the snails are seriously getting alittle out of control.  The Sharks could really use Nabbie right now!  Im in the bay area...

I know everyone acts like assassin snails will overpopulate just like the snails they're eating, but that hasn't been the case for me at all.  A few of them in a tank seems to keep them at bay.  I'd give those a shot, but it's not instant.  

Edited by jwcarlson

On 11/11/2023 at 6:02 PM, Bitty said:

The Sharks could really use Nabbie right now!  Im in the bay area...

Yeah... it's been a while since I've been happy in net. (Booing Nabby out of the stadium all the way back to his home country really still hurts and I'm so thankful that relationship was mended)

On 11/11/2023 at 6:02 PM, Bitty said:

Its a 55 with only 2 CPDs and super red long fin and starlight plecos.  I'm trying to get the plecos primed for breeding but the snails are seriously getting alittle out of control.

Option 1.... bucket everything and disassemble the tank, replace substrate, QT the plants, and try to get rid of them manually.  Every night, you check the tank when they are most active and get rid of any snails you see.  You can also do this with snail traps as well over time, but that's a lot slower.

Option 2.... try something like a ton of salt, pull the fish and plants for ~3-4 days, treat the plants with RR (or alum), and then you would  go ahead and try to re-assemble everything and go forward with manually removing them as much as possible.

Option 3.... try a medication.  It could be anything from noplanaria to other medications like cupramine.  If you use copper, there's a lot of indications that you'll never be able to keep inverts in that tank again, including shrimp.  In order to give yourself the *best chance* at removing all of the copper I would go ahead and get cuprisorb and be running that after treatment.