Rainbowfish Glass Surfing. HELP!!

FrozenFins

Hey,

I picked up one rainbowfish from my LFS not knowing that they want freinds.

Its been a week and he hasnt been the most happy. He has been glass surfing lots and he finally hurt himself. I covere up both sides of the aquarium with paper to try and stop this, but he won't. 

I might just give this guy back to the LFS, but he is hurt so I wanna make surr he has healed then give him back.

Anything helps, thanks!

He isnt that badly hurt just a small wound.

Rainbows are eternally hungry from my experience so glass surfing is not abnormal from what I have seen. Though I haven't seen them injure themselves with it so sounds like you may be facing a more extreme version that what I am used to. Is it being chased? How long is the tank (and what type and size is the rainbow)?

And to assist with healing I like additional small (~10-20%) water changes and a little aquarium or marine salt.

Sorry to hear your new fishy friend is causing stress, I know I had to stop keeping discus as the stress they caused me just wasn't worth how beautiful they were so it may be we just all have a species that isn't meant to be for us until things change up? 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken Dyer said:

Rainbows are eternally hungry from my experience so glass surfing is not abnormal from what I have seen. Though I haven't seen them injure themselves with it so sounds like you may be facing a more extreme version that what I am used to. Is it being chased? How long is the tank (and what type and size is the rainbow)?

And to assist with healing I like additional small (~10-20%) water changes and a little aquarium or marine salt.

Sorry to hear your new fishy friend is causing stress, I know I had to stop keeping discus as the stress they caused me just wasn't worth how beautiful they were so it may be we just all have a species that isn't meant to be for us until things change up? 🙂 

My Aquarium is 36 inches long. No he is not being chased. I quickly relized that I don't think the wound was from the glass surfing but that it was from the LFS. I just haven't seen it.