Pink Algae(?) in FW Aquarium

Hi All,
I have recently seen this pink bloom show up in my tank on the driftwood & pre-filter to my HoB filter. It's a Freshwater 29gal tank, approx 1-year-old with 22 fish(Dwarf Gourami(3), Cardinals(7), Harlequins(6), Borneo Loach(3) & Otto’s(3) and 3 Assasin snails to (try to) control the growing trumpet snail population(I have reduced fish feedings in an attempt to reduce food for snails to feast). I also have a growing Cherry Shrimp population...a VERY healthy environment with live plants! (Amazon swords, Dwarf Hygro, Staurogene Repens & Java Fern)

Nitrate=0, Nitrite=0, Chlorine=0, Hardness~100, Carbonate=80, Ph=7.0 - all numbers are good. 

The Gourami seem to pick at it, but not eat it to the point of control. 

Any thoughts on what it is, how to and whether to control it or if is a welcome or nuisance addition to my tank. 

Thanks!

IMG_8197.jpeg

IMG_8196.jpeg

IMG_8195.jpeg

IMG_8194.jpeg

I’m going to take a guess that it is some relative of black beard algae which is actually a red algae though colored black in most aquariums. 

Remove the wood from the tank. Give it a good drenching with hydrogen peroxide and give it a good scrub. Rinse and douse it again. Let soak 15 minutes rinse and put it back in the tank. 

I think it’s pretty and very doubtful it is harmful. However it runs the chance to continue spreading if not controlled. You wouldn’t want it on your plants. 

• Like 1