Betta lifespan

D191

Over the past 10 years or so I’ve had several bettas and despite what I would consider fairly ideal conditions I’ve never had one live longer than 2 years. Cheap bettas from petsmart to high end bettas from LFS. Just lost a seemingly very healthy placat bought at the LFS about 8 months ago. Heavily planted tank, very low to zero nitrate, temp at about 79, shaded with floating plants.  I’ve always had fish live to the upper end of their expected lifespan under my care and am very frustrated with bettas. I’m curious what others have experienced? 

Hi. I have to say, basically the same thing. I've had a betta from a breeder, betta from my LFS and betta from the local big box (that were seemingly healthy and others that weren't and I brought back to life). It seems a year, give or take a little, is about average for me despite efforts to make sure I do everything right. It's a shame too, they are beautiful, full of personality and easy to get attached to. I've sworn them off before, swelled to several, and now back down to 1 again. I think I might swear them off again. Or only ever keep one. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Typos suck.