Geli barb temp in community tank

Ogpulchra2

I spaced on the lower temperature requirement for golden dwarf barbs (geli barbs, Pethia gelius) and added them to a community tank that's kept at 76-78 degrees. Will they be okay or do barbs really suffer at higher temps? I spent a lot of time nursing these guys back to health and want them to do well, but I'd rather not have to net 20+ skittish fish out of a 75 gallon.

Screenshot_20231106-224252_Chrome.jpg

seriouslyfish says between 18-24C. 76 F is equal to 24.4C.

I think it should be okay. Yes, it is slightly above the ideal and maybe forcing the upper limit, but I think it should be okay. Just make sure the water is well oxygenated. 

In my very limited experience with barbs, they looove to swim. You provide a 75g swimming space with a big group of 20 for such small sized barb. They must love the swimming space they have. I think you gotta think a lot of stuff but not only temperature when you consider to make changes. If you change their tank, unless they are going to another 75g tank, you will be cutting from their swimming space by trading it with  decreasing the temperature a bit. You hear me? Moreover, based on where you live, you will likely reach these temps again during hot seasons no matter what. Also netting and changing environment is a stress factor. I personally like to avoid any sort of stress if possible.

I think with good oxygenation, they would enjoy a 75g with a big group much more than potential other scenarios.

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 2:09 PM, Ogpulchra2 said:

I spaced on the lower temperature requirement for golden dwarf barbs (geli barbs, Pethia gelius) and added them to a community tank that's kept at 76-78 degrees. Will they be okay or do barbs really suffer at higher temps? I spent a lot of time nursing these guys back to health and want them to do well, but I'd rather not have to net 20+ skittish fish out of a 75 gallon.

Most cypranidae will enjoy cooler, highly oxygenated water. So if you ever increase temps on them, then you'd want to add air to help out keep that oxygenation high. As temps rise, oxygenation falls.

Temporarily, like during a summer heatwave, most of the times they can handle a bit of a temperature boost. You might see them stay towards the bottom of the tank where the temperature is cooler or you might see them sit in the high flow spots.

If we say 78 is "normal" range for things like tetras and "normal" range is 72-74 for something like barbs, 76 is generally advised as the medium there.  Given the stocking, I think most everything in there works at the 74 range except for the kuhli loaches.  Clowns, if you get them too cold then you end up with things like ich showing up. It's a scaleless fish and so that all plays a factor in the stress factors and care requirements.

I would lean towards removing the kuhli and replacing them with a species of corydoras or something else that fits the range you're looking at keeping.

Range from the co-op on kuhli gives 74 as a minimum.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/care-guide-for-kuhli-loaches

• Like 1

@nabokovfan87 I actually set up the 75 specifically for the kuhli loaches! Haha I will probably end up moving the barbs to a 33 long. Would you happen to know what it is about warmer water that is not optimal for cyprinidae, aside from oxygen saturation? Does is just shorten lifespan due to higher metabolism?  They were extremely timid in their quarantine tank, but now they are all over the place and don't bolt when I approach the tank. I'm considering leaving them in and observing for a bit, but I will take the advice of more experienced hobbyists. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 3:05 PM, Ogpulchra2 said:

Does is just shorten lifespan due to higher metabolism? 

Yes. It also can add stress which would lead to some immunity issues potentially happening.  Sort of like a nagging cough would be the analogy.  Maybe you'll check on them and not see any issues, but then they might be bloated or something one day.  It's tough to say.  I am sure they are more adaptable to a range, likely hobbyist bred and not wild caught, but it's just something to consider.

They were extremely timid in their quarantine tank, but now they are all over the place and don't bolt when I approach the tank. I'm considering leaving them in and observing for a bit, but I will take the advice of more experienced hobbyists. 

What does the tank look like?  From my limited experience barbs like to swim to/through something.  They like to have a direction to go and have a place to travel around.  Longer tanks tend to be best because it gives direction and distance for them to explore.  Things like hardscape, wood, and plants really help to give them that.  In the 75 it's a bit tougher because of the height, but letting the plants grow tall won't be a bad idea.  In a different tank, same thing.

Would you happen to know what it is about warmer water that is not optimal for cyprinidae, aside from oxygen saturation?

When my tank got ich I lost a lot of my barbs.  It was a tough disease because it was tough to hold the heat up for the extended period and let the medication treat the cysts.  That being said, I would limit it to 76 as best you can. 78+ is really pushing it.  Anything above that I just don't really recommend.

Co-op care guide mentions 82 as a max temp.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/tiger-barb

@nabokovfan87 I really appreciate your advice. Your replies have always been super helpful. 

I am going to double check with a barb group, but I set up the 33 for them in case they confirm what you've told me. I'm holding out because I really hate having to catch fish in planted tanks, but I know I'll probably be moving them tonight. Haha

Edited by Ogpulchra2
  • Love 1