Did an ACO run today...

Galabar

including Taco truck. πŸ™‚

Something very interesting: I grabbed a bottle of easy green and brought it over to the counter.Β  Just a little while later one of the employees noticed the display and moved a bottle into the empty location.Β  Just those little touches are really cool... πŸ™‚

Oh, and they had all the fish I wanted. πŸ™‚

Β 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2023 at 2:51 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

What fish did you get? πŸ˜„

4 bristlenose plecos

4 ottos

4 (huge) amano shrimp

2 (large) SAEs

10 chili rasboras

This was mostly an algae control run.Β  I've got a new tank with Mbuna cichlids (mostly yellow labs) and they seem to have eaten all the ramshorn snails that I put in there.Β  I'm going to try 1 SAE, 1 pleco, 1 amano, and 1 otto for that tank to see if it helps (and hope that none of them get harrased).Β  I've also got another tank with silver dollars, buenos aires tetras, and diamond tetras, and the only plants that survive in there are anubias coffeefolia (they do nibble new growth) and I want to up the algae fighting game in there as well. πŸ™‚

The chili rasboras are to supplment a small group that I have in a different tank.

On 11/5/2023 at 6:36 AM, Schuyler said:

Oh since you're in the ACO area, are you part of GSAS?

We have our big plant and fish auction on Nov 18thΒ 

Β I'm not currently a GSAS member, but I'm considering it. πŸ™‚

Edited by Galabar
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 1:06 PM, Galabar said:

Β I'm not currently a GSAS member, but I'm considering it.Β 

πŸ™‚

You don't have to be a member to come to the auction. You only get money from selling stuff if you're a member but everyone is welcome.

You also get 10% off at ACO if you're a member, which basically pays for itself if you're deep into the hobby

• Love 1

On 11/5/2023 at 1:19 PM, Schuyler said:

You don't have to be a member to come to the auction. You only get money from selling stuff if you're a member but everyone is welcome.

You also get 10% off at ACO if you're a member, which basically pays for itself if you're deep into the hobby

Thanks.Β  I'll check it out. πŸ™‚

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2023 at 4:06 PM, Galabar said:

and the only plants that survive in there are anubia coffeefolia (they do nibble new growth) and I want to up the algae fighting game in there as well.

If I can find one cheap, I might try that.Β  I haven't found anything that my SDs won't eat.

I'd get a couple more SAEs.Β  Mine like to hang out together when they aren't working.

The german version of Amazonas mentioned using plastic plants to camouflage the live ones until the live ones are well established.

On 11/6/2023 at 4:25 PM, Tanked said:

If I can find one cheap, I might try that.Β  I haven't found anything that my SDs won't eat.

I'd get a couple more SAEs.Β  Mine like to hang out together when they aren't working.

Β 

• Like 3

On 11/6/2023 at 7:36 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

The german version of Amazonas mentioned using plastic plants to camouflage the live ones until the live ones are well established.

Β 

This tank has plastic plants and *a lot* of potted anubias coffeefolia and the silver dollars (and probably Buenos Aires tetras) still pick at the new, yellow leaves of the anubias as it grows in.Β  Pretty much all new leaves have bit marks when they turn green and seem to no longer be appetizing. πŸ™‚

So, I'll also say that I haven't found a single plant that silver dollars won't eat... πŸ™‚

On 11/9/2023 at 8:31 PM, Galabar said:

So, I'll also say that I haven't found a single plant that silver dollars won't eat... πŸ™‚

They say that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.Β  That is where the plants are in the SD tank.Β  That doesn't stop them from trying to pull one through the fence if they get a chance.

On the upside, I feed the SDs all of the plant trimmings, dying plants, all of the algae clumps including BBA...Β