Guppy breeding

Fishkeeper1010

Hi all, I got a trio of guppies to breed. One male dumbo ear red tail and two female koi. I wanted to make dumbo koi guppies with the cross. All the fish are really young and are only about 3cm in length. I noticed that the male only chases one female and leaves the other one alone. I don’t want her to image.jpg.54ab298b766ffa875a1663aa7e7862ab.jpgget super stressed out. 

image.jpg

Edited by Fishkeeper1010

I wouldn't worry about it.  When the time comes I'd be very surprised if he doesn't take care of both of them.

Also, you may already know this, but the koi females, like yours, are notorious fry hunters.  I had two or three of them with a male in a relatively small heavily planted tank for quite a while.  The owner of the store where I bought them told me they were bad about eating fry, but I liked them so much I wanted to try anyway.  The whole time I had them I saw exactly one fry, and I only saw it once.

I am like literally speechless right now. The ‘female’ that I got was a fry and has slowly developed a ganopodium. They shouldn’t sell them as this size. Oh well now I have an extra male. I’ll probably put him in my betta tank instead. It’s anal fin is now slightly stick like but hasn’t developed fully yet. No wonder his coulour was more vibrant than the other female. 

Also I do know about them being fry eaters but the fry will be separated when they are born. 

Edited by Fishkeeper1010
  • Like 1