White on neon rainbow's mouth

Elyse

Hey everyone, I just moved a few days ago so the fish are stressed. I noticed on several of the neon rainbows mouths that they have white patches or thickenings? Still eating and active. I've seen something similar on banded rainbows I bought and put in quarantine several months ago and it went away with maracyn. Does anyone know what it is / should I treat with maracyn again? 

sick neon 1.jpg

sick neon 2.jpg

Could be the start of mouth rot that can be associated with columnaris that a gram negative bacterial infections that spreads more quickly at temperatures over 75 and can kill in 24hr to 7 days depending on the stain I can't say for sure it's columnaris I would treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic such kanaplex if you notice them get worse than I would treat with kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following this treatment plan @Elyse

1000000030.png

On 11/1/2023 at 9:23 PM, Elyse said:

Sounds good; I think I'm going to have to treat all of my tanks. There was definitely some cross contamination during the move. A banded rainbow in a different tank has the class saddle back patch appearing. 😥

I won't be able to start the jungle fungus clear until next week. The only place I could find it was on amazon and it won't be here until November 8th. I don't want to wait that long to start treatment so I think I'll start a round of just kanaplex and see how it goes.

On 11/2/2023 at 1:56 AM, Elyse said:

I won't be able to start the jungle fungus clear until next week. The only place I could find it was on amazon and it won't be here until November 8th. I don't want to wait that long to start treatment so I think I'll start a round of just kanaplex and see how it goes.

Do a round of kanaplex and then give us an update I would only treat your other tanks if your seeing any symptoms 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I finished the last dose of kanaplex two days ago.

the 75 gallon looks much better; i lost one panda cory day 1 and one siamese algae eater looked shaky with sores on his back but he looks much better now. I don't see any signs of disease on any fish now but wondering if i should still do another round of antibiotics just to be safe

i'm definitely doing another round of antibiotics for the 55 gallon tank; I've lost 3 neon rainbows; the sterbai corys and geophagus look good and are eating well; the remaining rainbows are active, schooling and eating well but...it's hard to tell but i think i still see some white areas around a couple of their bottom jaws.

What do we think...

On 11/10/2023 at 5:03 AM, Elyse said:

Okay so I finished the last dose of kanaplex two days ago.

the 75 gallon looks much better; i lost one panda cory day 1 and one siamese algae eater looked shaky with sores on his back but he looks much better now. I don't see any signs of disease on any fish now but wondering if i should still do another round of antibiotics just to be safe

i'm definitely doing another round of antibiotics for the 55 gallon tank; I've lost 3 neon rainbows; the sterbai corys and geophagus look good and are eating well; the remaining rainbows are active, schooling and eating well but...it's hard to tell but i think i still see some white areas around a couple of their bottom jaws.

What do we think...

With what your describing I would follow up with a second course of kanaplex and jungal fungus clear