Can anyone tell me what this is?

John Collins

On 10/27/2023 at 2:35 AM, John Collins said:

My betta seems fine, except for this spot and a similar one on the other rside.image.jpeg.8e4d4db5c5a6db4dfd47fa985cc5730e.jpeg

Looks like the early stages of a growth  there really common in Bettas due to low genetic diversity thought inbreeding they usually progress very slowly so what I would do is add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties and monitor for the next two weeks give an update if it gets worse

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2023 at 5:49 AM, Colu said:

Looks like the early stages of a growth  there really common in Bettas due to low genetic diversity thought inbreeding they usually progress very slowly so what I would do is some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties and monitor for the next two weeks give an update if it gets worse

Thank you so much, I'll do that!

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/27/2023 at 5:49 AM, Colu said:

Looks like the early stages of a growth  there really common in Bettas due to low genetic diversity thought inbreeding they usually progress very slowly so what I would do is add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties and monitor for the next two weeks give an update if it gets worse

The growth is unchanged. The Betta is still active and seems to be otherwise fine. Should I just leave it, or should I try something else. Thanks for your help.

On 11/22/2023 at 9:47 PM, John Collins said:

The growth is unchanged. The Betta is still active and seems to be otherwise fine. Should I just leave it, or should I try something else. Thanks for your help.

As the growth is slowly progressing you could just monitor for or you could do a course of maracyn2 the active ingredient minocycline has anti-inflammatory properties just in case there's a bacterial component to the growth 

• Thanks 1