Filter flow for blue stiphoden goby

smm333

So I bought a blue stiphoden goby. I don't usually buy a fish unplanned, but I just had to have him! ❤ I have a tank that's all set up, cycled, growing out baby mystery snails. Watching a video on them I see they need more flow. I have a sponge filter and a bubble up corner filter, but I ordered a filter from Amazon that'll be here in a couple days. I was wondering if anyone has gobies and which way I should set the water flow. I haven't used this type of filter flow except for in a turtle tank. I added a picture of the 2 choices. 

20231015_124911.jpg

• Like 1

The general rule is 6x GPH for the size of tank. For higher flow fish I tend to find myself up to 10x the flow rate.

Let's say it's a 20G aquarium, for this fish you would be looking for something that operates at 120-200 GPH range.

Having good aeration (surface movement) is also another great idea as well for this setup. The spraybar works really well for that as does just having an air stone in the tank.

On 10/16/2023 at 1:37 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

The general rule is 6x GPH for the size of tank. For higher flow fish I tend to find myself up to 10x the flow rate.

Let's say it's a 20G aquarium, for this fish you would be looking for something that operates at 120-200 GPH range.

Having good aeration (surface movement) is also another great idea as well for this setup. The spraybar works really well for that as does just having an air stone in the tank.

Thanks! I have airstone in both the bubble up filter and the sponge filter. It looks like decent movement at the top of the water. Hopefully the new filter will add more flow!

• Like 1