Countertop Kitchen Aquariums

OakenGoby

I have a granite countertop about 3 feet wide and 7 feet long.  The countertop is supported by an interior wall and cabinets.  For the last three years, I’ve had a 10 gallon aquarium without issue. I’m moving that tank and setting up a 26 gallon in its place.  This should be roughly 160 pounds more, considering the water, rock, and sand, for a total weight around 260 pounds.  Dimensions are roughing 18”x24”x18” (peninsula). 

Would you feel comfortable putting this size tank on a countertop?

Thanks!

On 10/15/2023 at 7:15 AM, reefhugger said:

I think I'd want a building contractor to inspect that area to see how well supported the countertop is both all sides and underneath.  That's quite a bit of weight so someone familiar with load calculations and strengths of materials is needed. 

20 gallons or less I’m comfortable with. I set the tank up empty to get a visual and it looks a bit too big for the space. I appreciate the reply. 

On 10/16/2023 at 12:26 PM, Odd Duck said:

Make sure you have enough room above the tank to clean, etc.  A 20 long might be a better choice than anything taller - they are essentially a stretched 10 G.

Plenty of space above - 10 foot ceilings.  I decided on getting a stand and moving the tank elsewhere.  Going to go with something 20G or below for this space. 

• Like 2

Keep in mind you can minimalist the tank a bit, less rock more scatter gravel...more wood, smaller interesting pieces. The 10 gal I just put together might be my favorite build yet and that includes both big tanks I have already done. 

I know a rock guy in CO on Etsy that specializes in getting you sized stone you need. He got me some super small Elephant Skin Stone pieces that really helped lessen the weight for where it was going but also give it an interesting characteristic of that cool stone. Same with a piece of Red Seiryu. 

On 10/17/2023 at 5:44 PM, Shadow said:

Keep in mind you can minimalist the tank a bit, less rock more scatter gravel...more wood, smaller interesting pieces. The 10 gal I just put together might be my favorite build yet and that includes both big tanks I have already done. 

I know a rock guy in CO on Etsy that specializes in getting you sized stone you need. He got me some super small Elephant Skin Stone pieces that really helped lessen the weight for where it was going but also give it an interesting characteristic of that cool stone. Same with a piece of Red Seiryu. 

Ohhh, I’m interested in knowing your rock guy in CO! I’ve been trying to find a good place to buy good stone!  You can message me if you don’t want to monopolize Oaken’s thread, haha! Thank you!

• Like 1