Expel-P = Planaria Party?

PineSong

Am I overthinking this? I haven't done the No Planaria yet because I can't figure out where to put the snails I remove from the tank. I don't want to put them in any of my other tanks incase they have planaria in them. Wasn't there a planaria in a snail shell along with the snail in Chris Lukhaup's video? 

On 10/28/2023 at 3:36 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I believe so. Yeah. Worst case, bucket + air stone and add some ceramic media to the bottom of the bucket.

Yeah, but then if there are planaria in their shells when I put them back in I’m putting planaria back in, too?

On 10/28/2023 at 12:51 PM, PineSong said:

Yeah, but then if there are planaria in their shells when I put them back in I’m putting planaria back in, too?

you can always QT them and monitor them for ~30 days to see if you ever see any planaria.  Especially barebottom in a QT type of setup, then you'd be able to see them pretty easily.  Snails bringing in parasites (like leeches and planaria) might be a thing we have to monitor moreso as hobbyist moving forward.  Maybe there is a potential for a research study similar to ones I've seen for shrimp in terms of parasite surveys at different stages from the wild to the hobbyist tanks and everything along the way.  Some snails are purely hobbyist bred, while others are wild caught.