32" deep planted tank possible? Will the light reach the plants?

mrPickles

I found a 110 gallon 48x18x32 for a good price. I know the depth is going to make it a bear to plant, but I'm tall w/ long arms and will get some 15-24" forceps. It allows me to maximize my footprint, which I'm excited about, but I have a 48" aquarium coop light. Will that be powerful enough to reach the plants or is this just destined to fail from the start? I love the idea of deep tank since it will enable some cool aquascapes and plants.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2023 at 8:06 AM, Guppysnail said:

I think with a careful selection of plants this would be possible.  My friend uses small submersible light on deeper tanks and hides them to get light to the bottom of stem plants. It works well for her. It also gives her tank a unique look that adds an extra 3d look to her tank. 

Thanks for the reply. I ended up passing on the tank because there was a huge scallop on one of the corner and few other chips elsewhere. Those submersible lights sound cool though! Do you have any pics?

• Like 1

I use the hygger 24/7 submersible lights. They worked great in a tote tank I had setup for snail grow out tank. They are the 12 inch model. And put out a ton of light for such a small unit. You can adjust the brightness as well. Now I used them mounted to the inside of my black plastic lids on a couple of 10 gallon tanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1