Holes in plant leaves :(

Hi all,

I’ve recently noticed a bunch of holes start to show up on some crypts in my 10 gallon. They’re fairly new (been in my tank for about a month now) but they adjusted quickly and have been growing new leaves. I noticed one tiny hole starting on one of my Anubis’s leaves today too… noooo!!🥲That’s why I was wondering if this was a nutrient deficiency? I use Easy Root tabs and dose Easy Green every week. It almost looks like something has been eating them but I don’t know what that could be! The only inhabitants in the tank are one betta and a Nerite.

Thank you in advance🐠🩵

IMG_8475.jpeg

IMG_8474.jpeg

IMG_8473.jpeg

• Like 1

I had the same thing happen with a different plant. It could just be some sort of minimal nutrient issue that takes a little bit of time for the plants to adjust fully. Essentially, I would keep doing everything you're doing and then report back in a week and let us know how things are doing.

Substrate is eco complete?

You're using tabs. That should be the majority of the needs right there.  If you continue to see further issues my first step would be to try a different tab and see if you notice any changes. Maybe there is some very small nutrient missing and a different recipe or something might give you the result You're looking for in this particular case.

For reference, how many tabs are you using and how often are you adding them? At most in very highly planted tanks I would think once a month. For lower demand setups I would only use them every 2-4 months.

• Like 1

Yes, substrate is eco complete. That’s very good to know! It’s mostly just the crypts, so it could just be them doing some weird adjustment things. I’m going to dose extra root tabs this week (realized I’m almost out.. shoot!) and see how it goes. It’s a fairly minimally planted tank, I’d like to add some more stem plants in the back. I usually just add root tabs every 2-3ish months. I’ll add some extra root tabs because it also could be my Amazon sword getting huge and eating up all the nutrients!🤦🏼‍♀️