face down discus

The Doctor

Hola Amigos, one of my 7 discus is swimming face down in the last couple of days and I just saw some videos about Epson salt treatment.

The fish are about 1 year old and fist time I am seeing this...

1st question is this a good idea to do? How much to use and for how long?

2nd question, I know it will probably be better if I can separate the fish to treat it, but it will be hard to catch in a planted and scaped aquarium, so can I treat the whole 110G tank with Epson salt and do few big water changes after to get read of the salt?

The aquarium is planted with Java fern and Anubias and Potos on top, so I want to make sure the plants will be OK as well as the other fish: Corydoras, bristle nose pleco,  hatchetfish

Thanks a lot!

A litter more information would be helpful what are your water parameters ammonia nitrite nitrate pH KH GH can you post a picture of the sick fish I wouldn't dose Epsom salt in the main tank it will affect your plants at the level needed and it  will raise your GH I would quarantine and treat on it's own @The Doctor

On 10/11/2023 at 9:23 PM, The Doctor said:

Here is a picture, and the water params are:

Ph: 6.2

Ammonia 0

KH 0

Nitrate 80

Nitrite 0.5

Temp 28

GH 300

IMG_4237.jpg

How old  Is the fish Any rapid breathing hanging out near the surface lethargy flashing spitting food out sunken belly is it  eating ok the symptoms your describing can be caused by a number of things swim bladder constipation inflammation parasitic infection

Edited by Colu

Hi Colu and thanks for helping me with this!

The fish is about 1 year old and has been in this tank for the last 11 months, no new fish were added during this time as I don't want to risk any sickens, even the original fish went trough the med trio before being added to the tank... No other symptoms, the fish is in the middle of the water it is eating well and swimming properly when going to eat, only when it rests it is head down as opposite to the other fish that are resting normal...

On 10/11/2023 at 10:35 PM, The Doctor said:

Hi Colu and thanks for helping me with this!

The fish is about 1 year old and has been in this tank for the last 11 months, no new fish were added during this time as I don't want to risk any sickens, even the original fish went trough the med trio before being added to the tank... No other symptoms, the fish is in the middle of the water it is eating well and swimming properly when going to eat, only when it rests it is head down as opposite to the other fish that are resting normal...

What I would do is quarantine and treat with Epsom salt 1 table spoon for 3 gallons added directly to the quarantine tank or you can do Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days and do a course of metroplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for upto 3 weeks 

1000000024.png

Edited by Colu

Thanks, any replacement for metroplex as I do not believe I can find it easily in Canada… also one silly question, any pointers on how to catch the fish without stressing the whole aquarium, too much, the fish are shy and hiding during water changes and can get spooked and dart around sometimes…

thanks again for your time!

On 10/11/2023 at 11:44 PM, The Doctor said:

Thanks, any replacement for metroplex as I do not believe I can find it easily in Canada… also one silly question, any pointers on how to catch the fish without stressing the whole aquarium, too much, the fish are shy and hiding during water changes and can get spooked and dart around sometimes…

thanks again for your time!

I use two nets one  to direct the fish towards the second stationary net that I leave in the corner  theres no alternative to metroplex in Canada that I can think of what I would do just the Epsom salt baths after the 5 days give an update  or before then if it get worse or you notice any new symptoms 

On 10/12/2023 at 12:45 AM, The Doctor said:

Thanks, how about this for a first step to avoid catching the fish, it would ingest the Epson salt and I do have the api general cure:

is it a good idea?

That is used in conjunction with medication such as metronidazole and praziquantel in very small amount just adding Epsom salt to there food I haven't tried I don't think it be that effective 

Edited by Colu

I do have the API general cure, so I will be adding it to the food along the Epsom salt… Also what is the safe Epsom salt dose for plants? Is 1 table spoon per 40 G safe as per the advice of Gabe Posada of Wattley Discus?

https://wattleydiscus.com/the-5-most-common-discus-ailments-and-how-to-cure-them/

as you ca see , I am trying to avoid catching the fish if I can help it…

On 10/12/2023 at 1:43 AM, The Doctor said:

I do have the API general cure, so I will be adding it to the food along the Epsom salt… Also what is the safe Epsom salt dose for plants? Is 1 table spoon per 40 G safe as per the advice of Gabe Posada of Wattley Discus?

https://wattleydiscus.com/the-5-most-common-discus-ailments-and-how-to-cure-them/

as you ca see , I am trying to avoid catching the fish if I can help it…

You can use general cure as an alternative    to metroplex that has metronidazole and praziquantel 1 table spoon for 5 gallons won't harm Javan ferns or anubias am not sure how tolerant porthos is to salt

Quick update on day 1 of treatment: I did add 3 table spoons of Epsom salt to the aquarium (110G) as per Gabe from Wattley Discus, did not feed this morning (frozen discus mix, blood worms and Sera discus pellets - 1 mil I believe). I did mix 3 oz Sera discus pellets with Epsom salt API general cure and garlic powder (as per the video above) and fed a bit around noon all fish ate including the face down discus - still active except the posture. I am not sure how good is the food mix is... If I have to do it again, I will premix all the powder stuff in little bit of water and add to the food after as the big Epsom grains are hard to dissolve and I am not sure how well it is mixed, same with the general cure, not to mention I saw somewhere the metro is active only for 8 hours after dissolved in water... Regardless, I don't think this is internal parasite issue, but more likely bloat over eating, but we'll see...