Xtreme Betta vs Nano Pellets?

awong918

I want to pick out a food for my betta, but I can't decide which.

It seems intuitive to pick the betta formula, but it seems to have more fillers & binders than the nano pellets.

Betta: Krill Meal, Shrimp Meal, Squid Meal, Pea Protein, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Wheat Starch, Non-GM Soy Flour, Algae Meal-Dried (Spirulina), Grain Distillers Dried Yeast, Non-GM Soy Lecithin, Paprika, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Supplement), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin-5-Phosphate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K Activity), Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Inositol, Xanthophyll, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Iron Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Choline Chloride, Beta Carotene

Nano: Krill Meal, Fish Meal, Squid Meal, Wheat Flour, Fish Protein Concentrate, Wheat Gluten, Gran Distillers Dried Yeast, Fish Oil, Monocalcium Phosphate, Soy Lecithin, Wheat Germ Meal, Guar Gum (mucilage), Choline Chloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Supplement), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin-5-Phosphate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K Activity), Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Iron Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, L-Ascorbyl-2- Polyphospate (source of Vitamin C) Astaxanthin.

Nano has more protein (52% vs 38%)

more fat (12% vs 5%) though I'm not sure if this is desirable

less fiber (2% vs 6%)

I haven’t used beta pellets (as I don’t have any bettas yet) but I feed nano pellets almost daily, and they sink VERY quickly. Not too quickly that your betta won’t be able to eat a pellet or two, but the rest will sink down into the substrate. If you have gravel, the pellets could get stuck, and from what I’ve heard, most bettas won’t eat off the bottom anyways. If the betta pellets float, I’d suggest you go with them. 

• Like 2

Id assume the betta food is better mixed for their health, then again I cant find any real sources that have any information. Everything I have search up just recs the same food brands, or is a forum/ reddit post parroting the same info with no sources. 

• Like 1

I use Xtreme Betta pellets. He loves 'em, and they float for a while.  I've never seen one sink because he eats them right away.

Also I started giving him Community Plus repashy (just because I had extra). For one, he loves it.  For two, it gets him to use the bottom of the tank because prior to this he was just staying at the top.  Fun to see him dive down for it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say I got the betta version, and my betta absolutely loves it! He's sick and has been spitting out Fluval Bug Bites (which he used to love) and Northfin, but to my surprise he was very willing to eat this food. Looking at the ingredients list, the formula seems improved compared to the one listed on the website. I'm so happy to have found a pellet my fish won't spit out.

If only I had an Aquarium Co-op store near me so I wouldn't have to pay $8 shipping every 3 months when I "renew" my fish's food... Oh well...

Edited by awong918