pregnant endlers not dropping fry

HelplessNewbie

At least in my experience, that seems about normal! My endler´s usually have very few fry each. If you ever see a large black spot near the abdomen of the fish, it's almost certainly what´s called a gravid spot, which appears when they are going to give birth. 

On 10/5/2023 at 11:55 PM, Zeaqua said:

At least in my experience, that seems about normal! My endler´s usually have very few fry each. If you ever see a large black spot near the abdomen of the fish, it's almost certainly what´s called a gravid spot, which appears when they are going to give birth. 

Good to know.

The 2 older females have larger bellies and the 3rd's belly seemed smaller, so I suspect that 3rd was the one that birthed the fry. They all have large dark gravid spots, though.

With my endlers, the first batch of fry was often small, like 6 or 7 fry--one time I only saw one-- but they often had larger batches each time. And I did have at least one set that did not start to breed until they had been here three months--not sure if the male or the female were the delaying factor there. They have all been very regular with producing fry every 28-30 days once they start though.

• Like 1