Betta w/ Split Tail

Alex S.

Tonight when I went to feed my fish, I noticed my poor betta’s tail has split in half! I know I’ve been busy with school and haven’t been able to provide as much care to my tank as normal, but I still feed the fish and look at them every day, so I’m fairly certain it would have had to have happened just today. He’s acting perfectly normal, swimming around and still eating great. I haven’t noticed any agression with the other fish for it to be fin nip, and I feel like it happened way to fast to be fin rot, but I’m really not sure! I also checked my water quality, and all parameters were within normal range! 

Does anyone have any tips for how I should treat it? What’s really weird is it seems like a very clean split! I’m not sure what to do, but I’m really worried about it! 🙁

76F08269-76C9-4316-BEA0-D6BE8122C14D.jpeg

8CA35022-0CBA-45E7-AE66-BF1C6E9D52EB.jpeg

16F1D786-AE10-4281-B96B-F742BCE5FAFA.jpeg

On 10/4/2023 at 6:28 AM, Colu said:

Little more information would be helpful what are your water parameters ammonia nitrite nitrate pH temperature @Alex S.

Thanks for looking into this @Colu

My water parameters are as follows:

Nitrite: 0ppm

Ammonia: 0ppm

Gh: 150ppm

KH: 80ppm

PH: 7.2

Chlorine: 0

Let me know if any other info would be helpful! 

On 10/5/2023 at 12:36 AM, Alex S. said:

Thanks for looking into this @Colu

My water parameters are as follows:

Nitrite: 0ppm

Ammonia: 0ppm

Gh: 150ppm

KH: 80ppm

PH: 7.2

Chlorine: 0

Let me know if any other info would be helpful! 

Your water parameters are fine Looking at the depth of the split in the tail fin I can see some Redding to edge of the split I think it would be worthwhile doing a course of kanaplex it's a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment just in case there's a bacterial component 

On 10/4/2023 at 8:45 PM, Colu said:

Your water parameters are fine Looking at the depth of the split in the tail fin I can see some Redding to edge of the split I think it would be worthwhile doing a course of kanaplex it's a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment just in case there's a bacterial component 

I don’t have kanaplex, but I do have aquarium salt on hand. Could I use that instead so I could go ahead and start treating? 

On 10/5/2023 at 2:32 AM, Alex S. said:

I don’t have kanaplex, but I do have aquarium salt on hand. Could I use that instead so I could go ahead and start treating? 

Yes you can use aquarium salt I would do 1 table spoon for 2 gallons and you can add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties 

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2023 at 10:24 PM, Colu said:

Yes you can use aquarium salt I would do 1 table spoon for 2 gallons and you can add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties 

How long would you recommend keeping him in the quarantine tank with the salt? 

On 10/5/2023 at 4:02 AM, Alex S. said:

How long would you recommend keeping him in the quarantine tank with the salt? 

What I would do is leave it a week with salt  at that level then give us an update if your seeing no improvement I would recommend getting holed of maracyn2 or kanaplex just to have to hand 

On 10/5/2023 at 5:30 AM, Colu said:

What I would do is leave it a week with salt  at that level then give us an update if your seeing no improvement I would recommend getting holed of maracyn2 or kanaplex just to have to hand 

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!