New to plants looking for some guidance

I’m planning a low maintenance, slow/medium growth for plants, community tank with lots of fish a moderate plants.  Something like this.

3 Java Ferns

1 Amazon sword

2 Cabomba

2 dwarf Sag

4 Anubias

1 floating plant

4 Angels

6 Rainbow fish

6 Red eyed Tetras

4 Sailfin Molly

2 German Ram

2 Cory’s

2- algae eater

1 Pleco-small

My question is, what is a recommended light (intensity and hours).  I’ll be using an decent LED light.

Also fertilizer.  I’m planning on using Easy Green with plant tabs for rooted plants. 

Question- I don’t want algae bloom so should I go with the recommended liquid dosage, or should I cut it back at first and see how it goes?  Again my goal is to go easy and start slow on the plants.

light intensity is going to depend a lot on the light you choose. but generally somewhere between 6 and 8 hrs is a good start. fertilizer, start with the recommended dosage. everything with plants is a wait and see, then make a small change, and wait some more, and repeat until you find the magic spot.

• Like 1

First, id recommend using https://www.aqadvisor.com to plan your stocking. Some of the fish you mentioned are not compatible and require different conditions.

Second, plecos with plants generally are a no-no, your plants will get eaten!

Third, patience! You are building an eco system, not buying a fish tank. Eco systems take time to grow.

And finally, when you plant, plant heavy! This will save you money and aggravation in the long run.

Good luck, im excited to see how things turn out!

On 10/1/2023 at 5:45 PM, JoeQ said:

First, id recommend using https://www.aqadvisor.com to plan your stocking. Some of the fish you mentioned are not compatible and require different conditions.

Second, plecos with plants generally are a no-no, your plants will get eaten!

Third, patience! You are building an eco system, not buying a fish tank. Eco systems take time to grow.

And finally, when you plant, plant heavy! This will save you money and aggravation in the long run.

Good luck, im excited to see how things turn out!

rubber lip, and clown plecos are pretty safe.

On 10/2/2023 at 5:03 AM, Pepere said:

Oh my word but do I wish Dr Novack would just cut to the chase and get it out…

So many words repeating himself before he gets to the point…

Unfortunately this seems like a YouTube trend, using a click baitie title with a lot of words to extend viewing time... 

I'm not doing what I'd consider a heavily planted aquarium, but I should go with the recommended fertilizer amount?

Ok but it seems like there should be a recommended amount for heavily, moderate and lightly planted aquariums.  Otherwise I'm adding a lot of fertilizer that won't be used and doesn't that promote algae growth?

I really don't get this.  EVERYONE says keep nitrate levels under 40 and then do a water change to drop it.   Even the Girls talking Fish video's from Aquarium Co-op.  However Corey on his video, again from Aquarium Coop says to after a water change keep add Easy Green until Nitrates get to 50ppm.  What?????

On 10/9/2023 at 12:38 PM, svachon9 said:

I really don't get this.  EVERYONE says keep nitrate levels under 40 and then do a water change to drop it.   Even the Girls talking Fish video's from Aquarium Co-op.  However Corey on his video, again from Aquarium Coop says to after a water change keep add Easy Green until Nitrates get to 50ppm.  What?????

The idea behind this is, it keeps your nutrients balanced. Different plants perfer one nutrient over others. Over time this leads to none of the plants being happy cause you aren't providing a balanced diet. This is the main foothold for algea to take over. IMO, it is good practice/preventative maintenance to do a large weekly water change regardless of your nitrate levels.